Wood Floor On Above Grade Slab - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2013, 10:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Wood floor on above grade slab

I am raising the floor of half of a concrete porch on my house. The raised portion will be 5' 6" x 16' and part of the dining room and is 3 1/2" lower than the rest of the house. I am finished with the re-framing after the tornado damage and this is holding me up. There are so many opinions on this topic I am at a loss for what to do here. I want this done right and cannot close up the house until this floor is in.

I've read a lot of info on the web and have had so many offer suggestions. Please help. The flooring will be engineered hardwood over Advantech subfloor.
remoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

Ok, so what's the question?
Use pressure treated wood for the sleepers.
Lay down a 6 mil. vapor barrier on the concrete.
You may find the slab has a sloop so you'll have to cut the sleepers on a taper.
Going to need ACQ fasteners when attaching to the pressure treated wood.
I would lay blue foam insulation between the joist.
Why not do the whole porch? That small a step will always be a trip hazard.
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2013, 11:52 AM   #3

Thanks Joe. I've read and heard so much about the plastic being a bad idea I was hesitant. In my case the pressure treated bottom plates are around the perimeter already so no way to get the plastic under. Does that make a difference? The entire porch wasn't an option because of a set of concrete steps one one corner and the slab has a pretty good overhang there and I didn't want the weight on it.

I'm not sure it matters but the slab is sitting on tin. So the only moisture it would get is from the air. I've done enough research that the conflicting opinions make it hard to decide. One option I've read is no plastic with 2" rigid foam but getting it this far south is very difficult. I wasn't able to oversee when the walls and subsequent roof were put on the slab so I'm hoping there is an option so as not to need to jack the walls up to get the plastic under them.

As for the trip hazard? The step up is from the outside porch on the front and now back as well so were used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #4

Well it wasn't easy at all but the plastic is down and under the walls. Had to use two diamond blades for a reciprocating saw to cut the power fasteners holding the bottom plates.

I do have another question.

The 2x4 treated joists are on edge and cut on a taper. What would be the best method for attaching each one to the slab to prevent possible crowning as the green wood dries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement