White Haze On Colored Grout. Is My First Tile Job A Bust? Help! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2014, 06:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 147

white haze on colored grout. is my first tile job a bust? help!

first time tiler here. did some mosaic backsplash in the kitchen. a mix of glass and marble tile pieces. 1/16 grout gaps. used Mapei Keracolor (unsanded) in color called biscuit.

so I saw in the Mapei bulletin the following, "To prevent efflorescence, discoloration and soft/powdery joints, avoid cleaning with excessive water." so I was very, very careful to wring the sponges almost bone dry and used light pressure. sopped up any excess water. still got a lot of areas where there is whitish haze on the grout lines, especially along the edges. but I have some grout lines that have basically turned white!

so short of scraping the bum areas out and doing it again, am I just out of luck here? or is there another solution? like can I let it dry overnight an rough it up a bit with a scrub pad or toothbrush or anything? ie, is this type of discoloration mainly superficial and I can kind of scrape it off?

any advice is appreciated. cheers,

THB
tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Let it continue to dry, then wipe down the tiles with a mixture of White Vinegar & warm water. Use about a quart of White Vinegar to 3 gallons of warm water. Then wipe down with a clean new sponge, rinsing the sponge out each time, before placing back in the bucket of White Vinegar & water.

You can mix up vinegar, ammonia, baking soda and water and spray onto the tiles, and try that. Beware that mixing Vinegar & Baking Soda with Ammonia may create Phosgene gas. Sugar dissolved in Water can also work.

After it dries, if the haze is still showing, then use either Cheese Cloth or Burlap to wipe the tiles down with, which should scrub the haze off.

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-09-2014 at 06:19 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 147

thanks for he reply. didnt think of vinegar. can try that. the discoloration is on the grout though, not the tile (at least as of now). will this approach (maybe) work for grout issues too? or is this more for tile haze?

take care

THB
tarheelblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2014, 06:57 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi Tar,

I can copy & paste too. So here's my answer.

What you have is most likely latex leaching.

Originally Posted by from the TCNA
Less common than efflorescence is the white residue that can form on polymer-modified grout if the grout is subjected to excessive moisture before the polymers coalesce. Polymer additives are often added to grout to provide superior properties, commonly improved chemical resistance, reduced porosity, improved flexibility, and freeze/thaw stability. These additives are either already in the grout as redispersible powders or are added in liquid form. In both cases, grout mixed with too much water or cleaned too soon, or cleaned with excess water can cause the polymer to migrate to the surface. In many cases (but not all), these polymers are white in color. When the excess water evaporates, the white polymer is exposed.
Try wiping with hot water. Allow to dry a few hours. If the results are not good enough, try a 10-20% white vinegar/water mix. That should make it better. Otherwise allow to cure about 10 days and wash with Sulfamic Acids crystals de solved in water per directions.

Note: acids & cleaners can dull natural stone & etch metallic tiles. Always test all cleaning products before using.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement