What Is This Shower Stall Base? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 6

What is this shower stall base?

Quick background:
I did my shower stall two years ago and noticed that my floor was sinking two months ago. When I started poking around I saw two things..

- ton's of carpenter ants coming from the shower stall floor
- heaps of white powder (I believe it is the styrofoam) below the shower, in the crawl space.

It seems like my previous contractor used some sort of a styrofoam base under the tiles of the shower stall and the ants started eating away and the base became so porus and started giving away (see the picture below). Looks like the styrofoam attracted the ants. The question is

- what is this?
- who the manufacturer of this styrofoam product is?

This caused tons of money to do the pest control and redo the shower stall floor. Appreciate your response. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
What is this shower stall base?-base2.jpg   What is this shower stall base?-base1.jpg  
sjcdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
retired framer

Rewards Points: 20,266

Re: What is this shower stall base?

There are lot's of brands, who would have thought that would happen.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 03:41 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Hi,

We need a better description of each layer starting with the subfloor.

From here I see he used some type of mud product although sure doesn't look like sand mix. Looks like he used a concrete mix, cuz of the large pebbles etc. However underneath I see orange, so I'm thinking there's some Kerdi under there. But the method isn't clear at this time.

Please dissect it and let us know what's there.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,251

Carpenter ants love foam. This is very common. Foam is commonly used as a shower bed. Sometimes as a filler and sometimes as the actual base. There is nothing wrong with the product.

The questions are...How old is your house? Who did the initial insect treatment around the inside and outside of your foundation? Who do you contract to take care of maintaining the insect barrier around your house and inspecting for insect damage?

Whoever you are using as your insect protection service company should have kept this from happening or noticed insect damage during their contracted inspection periods.
KHouse75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement