What To Put Under The Waterproofing Membrane. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-21-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

What to put under the waterproofing membrane.

Hey
I have this question stuck in my head. What kind of adhesive do you use to make the waterproofing membrane for tiling to stick onto the floor.
TurboDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Check with the maker---modified thinset is used by most--one maker only wants unmodified under their brand--

Let us know the exact product you are considering and someone here should be able to help.
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2012, 01:57 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Turbo,

It's not clear what it is you're doing, please xplain. By the title I first thought you're building a shower or something that requires waterproofing. Mike thinks in another direction.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (01-21-2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #4

I'm wanting to tile up the floors on my powder room and from me watching some Holmes on Holmes and Disaster DIY, they use a water-proofing membrane on the washroom floors. They just dont say what adhesive they use to stick the membrane on the floor.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDIYer
I'm wanting to tile up the floors on my powder room and from me watching some Holmes on Holmes and Disaster DIY, they use a water-proofing membrane on the washroom floors. They just dont say what adhesive they use to stick the membrane on the floor.

I think they place the membrane in the bed of thinset on the shows.
Sounds like your making a wetbed
Dont forget if you have a doorway to the room you need to install a saddle as well.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #6
Tileguy

They use a lot of Ditra uncoupling membrane, which can also be used to (somewhat), waterproof, a floor. You install it using a 'substrate-appropriate" thinset. Over ply you'd have to use a modified/polymer mortar, over concrete they recommend unmodified. Ditra is orange in color and has a waffle looking surface.

Note that simply using Ditra does not completely waterproof the room. You'd have to flash it up the wall and build a curb in the doorway like a shower to make it waterproof. However it will protect most of the subfloor under Ditra. Its main function is to uncouple the floor from the tile work so nothing bad happen when the floor shrinks and expands.

Floors do not require special waterproofing, but Ditra is a great product that does a good job.

Quote:
Sounds like you're making a wetbed
I don't get that impression at all. What makes you think Turbo is planning the 1" or thicker mud bed?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]

Last edited by JazMan; 01-22-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #7
Pro

Because he wants to use ditra or what turbo is describing as so like as seen on tv and like you have described to go up the wall that's the only time I have seen this done when using such membrane but not how much mud filler used?...

Last edited by JetSwet; 01-22-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:14 PM   #8
Tileguy

Turbo is a DIY'r and I've never seen Holmes mention or do a mud-job. It's not an installation method you'll see many DIY'rs attempt, for good reason. Turbo just wants to tile a powder room himself.

Turbo, tell us about the subfloor and your plans.

Jaz

Old 01-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan
Turbo is a DIY'r and I've never seen Holmes mention or do a mud-job. It's not an installation method you'll see many DIY'rs attempt, for good reason. Turbo just wants to tile a powder room himself.

Turbo, tell us about the subfloor and your plans.

Jaz
Sorry JazMan I think I just misunderstood your prior reply.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #10

First of all, how about you guys just call my Jay cause being called Turbo isn't really the greatest name.
Yes, I am planing to use a Ditra as a membrane on my powder room floor with ceramic tiles. The sub floor is 3/4 inches thick and I haven't demo my old tiles yet but I will start soon. Could you guys provide me with a shopping list for what to buy even though I live right beside HD.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Pro

Quote:
First of all, how about you guys just call my Jay cause being called Turbo isn't really the greatest name.
Yes, I am planing to use a Ditra as a membrane on my powder room floor with ceramic tiles. The sub floor is 3/4 inches thick and I haven't demo my old tiles yet but I will start soon. Could you guys provide me with a shopping list for what to buy even though I live right beside HD.
Ok Jay, so you are leaving the subfloor there just taking tile out? How positive are you that you have 3/4 worth of subfloor?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Ok Jay, so you are leaving the subfloor there just taking tile out? How positive are you that you have 3/4 worth of subfloor?
This is a house was bought as a blueprint. I have been involved in every process of my house being built.
Old 01-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Pro

Quote:

This is a house was bought as a blueprint. I have been involved in every process of my house being built.
If you only have 3/4 of ply in your floor you will need to add 1/2 you need at least 1" of wood for proper tile install ditra or cement board it not for a structure sound floor.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
If you only have 3/4 of ply in your floor you will need to add 1/2 you need at least 1" of wood for proper tile install ditra or cement board it not for a structure sound floor.
Do I have to do that?
Old 01-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
If you only have 3/4 of ply in your floor you will need to add 1/2 you need at least 1" of wood for proper tile install ditra or cement board
HUH? Where did you get that? Please let us know.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement