What To Put Under Luxury Vinyl - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 180

What to put under luxury vinyl

I plan to put Luxury click vinyl in my kitchen and bathroom once the asbestos flooring has been removed. I live in Northern NM in the mountains and it can get cold at night. My subfloor is over a crawlspace. What should I put between my subfloor and the vinyl?

Thanks as always. This site rocks!
jwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Usually Confused

Rewards Points: 284

Re: What to put under luxury vinyl

I don't know NM practices or requirements, but could you insulate between the joists in the crawlspace? Spray, glas batt, rock wool batt, etc. I don't think there is anything you could put down under the flooring that would make much of a difference.
lenaitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 11:27 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,330

What lenaitch said - insulate between the joists in the crawl space.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016, 02:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiens View Post
I plan to put Luxury click vinyl in my kitchen and bathroom once the asbestos flooring has been removed. I live in Northern NM in the mountains and it can get cold at night. My subfloor is over a crawlspace. What should I put between my subfloor and the vinyl?

Thanks as always. This site rocks!

What ever the Mfg. says, and only what he says if you want to keep the warranty intact.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:14 AM   #5

Thank you all. I will make sure I read what the Mfg recommends. Hopefully I can get someone to insulate my crawlspace next summer. So far I have yet to find someone to do it now. As for the floor I am considering COREtec Plus as my vinyl (8mm with cork on the bottom, doesn't expand and can be used in kitchens and bathrooms. I hope to put my plywood down tomorrow, but I have a question. The asbestos was removed. YAY! The black felt paper or tar paper was mostly removed. YAY! It does smell pretty funny in those rooms though. Any thoughts on if I need to seal the floors at this stage or do I just go ahead and put plywood down and the smell will eventually dissipate? Also I am leaning towards putting the vinyl floor down after the cabinets go in the kitchen. First it would allow our remodel to remain mostly on time (We were not planning on doing a floor to begin with and cabinets were supposed to go this week, but could go in next week if the plywood is in this week). Second it would require less flooring and if I ever wanted to change it I could easily pull this floor and replace it since it wouldn't be under the cabinets. I would love to hear thoughts on this. Thanks so much as always.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:22 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

I'd wait for the cabinets to be installed.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 768

You have to wait, there's no choice, it's loose laid needs to be able to expand and shrink.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:16 PM   #8

Thank you guys. I will definitely wait to put the floating vinyl floor in. My contractor wants me to go ahead and put plywood down now before cabinets. He thought I should do 1/4" with liquid nails and a nail gun. I am leaning towards using screws and no glue. The rooms where the old floor came out still smell a bit, but perhaps that will dissipate.

Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
Tileguy

How about nails and NO glue and definitely NO ¼" anything since the subfloor is planks.

AS to the thickness of the new ply underlayment. If you go with anything other than ½" or thicker, you'll be stuck with a very limited choice for the next flooring, definitely no ceramic without more work. If the planks are in excellent condition, I think ⅜" will be ok with vinyl.

Your contractor is wrong x2.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 09-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #10

Thanks for your thoughts JazMan. Not sure if I am reading this right, but are you saying either don't do any underlayment since I have a plank subfloor, or are you saying don't do 1/4", but 3/8" would be ok for the vinyl? The reason I was considering screws vs nails is that our oak wood floors that are from 1946 squeak like crazy! I was thinking screws would prevent squeaking. Am I wrong? If I could use my nail gun and no glue that would be awesome. I do detect squeaking in the subfloor and plan to screw those areas down before putting an underlayment. Thanks again.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #11
Tileguy

You have to install underlayment over planks. I wouldn't consider anything under a full ½" underlayment grade exposure 1. But if the planks are in good condition and you wanna walk on loose laid vinyl or other loose laid flooring for ever, I believe ⅜" will be ok.

The proper fasteners are ring-shank flooring nails. Screws can pucker the top layer of veneer and cause a small hill. May not matter, but it might. What nail gun do you have?

Jaz

Old 09-14-2016, 10:54 PM   #12

I believe I have Ryobi P854 ONE Plus 18V Cordless Lithium-Ion 2 in. Brad Nailer, but I have yet to use it. I figured if I used screws then I would need to countersink, but it sounds like that might not be enough...
Old 09-14-2016, 11:07 PM   #13

JazMan I have joists running across the room, 1x8s running diagonal over the joists and then the 1x4 running perpendicular to the joists. My room is 8'2" wide so I was hoping to put the plywood across the room, but that is parallel to the joists. Is that ok since I have a diagonal layer and the perpendicular layer already?
Old 09-16-2016, 10:34 AM   #14

Should the 1/2" plywood underpayment go under the molding as well as the floating floor. I'd prefer not to do quarter round since I have to deal with two door jambs. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What to put under luxury vinyl-1474036475077.jpg  
Old 09-16-2016, 09:29 PM   #15
Tileguy

Is that common in Northern New Mexico? I don't think I've encountered 1x8" sub with 1x4" over.

I don't know which way "across" is but since you said it twice aren't you still gonna be 2" short? Ply is stiffer in the direction of the face grain, but I agree it shouldn't matter in this case so much.

The base looks like 2 ⅜" thin, so remove and replace or add shoe molding for the correct finish look. Door jambs have nothing to do with base or shoe.

* Don't forget about proper crawl space ground cover, ventilation and insulation per local custom.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement