Water Based Finish Or Poly???? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water based finish or Poly????

I am getting my floors redone/installed with hardwood. One company uses water based finish and the other Polyurethane. There is a 700.00 price difference and I don't know what to do. HELP!! thanks!!
chinacat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #2
custom user

Rewards Points: 1,820

There's more to it than the finish so that's probably where the difference is. I would prefer the poly, it's tough stuff and lays down nice. Have you seen samples of their work?
JasperST is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

I don't know precisely what the "water-based finish" is given the information here, but regarding Polyurethane: it is a solvent-based product that is kind of falling out of favor because of air quality issues. It is usually considered a more expensive version of Urethane. I suggest you to check the Material Safety Data Sheet of the finish and find out what its VOC level is.

There are several things to consider when choosing different floor finishes:
1) air quality
2) durability - do you need to re-apply it in several months time or in several years time.
3) Difficulty to refinish: it is impossible to re-apply some type of finishes by yourself at home
4) Actual feeling: some finishes claim to have "high wear" technology, they are probably true, but what also true is these finishes don't feel very natural. You may feel like walking on plastic. So please also try the actual floor in person apart from checking the technical data.

Edison

Last edited by oh'mike; 11-05-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: Removed link--please read posting rules for pros
iCork Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 06:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

iCork Floor, out of the fact that you dug two other threads out of their grave, for your information, Polyurethane comes also in a Water Based Formula.

As for answering the OP question, the reason for using Water based Poly, is to keep the VOC's low, which some people tend to be allergic to certain smells, or even in the case of stains and other items, that use Petroleum based solvents, they are unable to be around, so low VOC or Water based is used.

There are some Poly's that are better than others. Just make sure that whoever that does the work for you, gives you manufacturer info on what stain & poly they are using, along with can provide a MSDS upon your request, if you desire.

Also, please refrain from using the forum as your soap boax for posting your business name in every post.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
iCork Floor, out of the fact that you dug two other threads out of their grave, for your information, Polyurethane comes also in a Water Based Formula.

As for answering the OP question, the reason for using Water based Poly, is to keep the VOC's low, which some people tend to be allergic to certain smells, or even in the case of stains and other items, that use Petroleum based solvents, they are unable to be around, so low VOC or Water based is used.

There are some Poly's that are better than others. Just make sure that whoever that does the work for you, gives you manufacturer info on what stain & poly they are using, along with can provide a MSDS upon your request, if you desire.

Also, please refrain from using the forum as your soap boax for posting your business name in every post.
Explanation: if you think i'm not showing respect to the forum: I don't post for the sake of posting. Yes I would like to gain exposure but that's AFTER I can provide useful information. So I won't touch any threats that I have no idea how to answer. I don't write useless information, I write what I know, I write what I think could be helpful to the OP, I don't lie, I make sure I don't mislead if I may (such as this one when I am not 100% certain whether the "water-based" is water based poly). I also don't advertise anything in my reply. I just got told that including my business name is incorrect so I won't do that.
iCork Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement