Vinyl Vs Laminate - Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By stick\shift
  • 1 Post By Mystriss

Old 06-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Vinyl vs laminate - question

Hi. Unfortunately, I damaged my hardwood floor and have to cover it up, I want to go with a best value laminate or vinyl. I found the best prices at Floor & Decor, the quality looks pretty good too. I am either considering 12mm non-waterproof laminate + underlayment, or 5mm vinyl with rubber pad. My kitchen is in the middle of dining and living room and has tiles. The hardwood is layed over linoleum which is layed on top of concrete slab. I would be grateful if someone could help me answer question below.

- Is it better to put same floor - vinyl in living room, dining room and kitchen, or vinyl in kitchen and laminate in other rooms?

- Is 5mm Duralux LVP any good?

- Is rubbery pad enough if I put it over hardwood? Cork pad vinyl is much more expensive.

- If I choose to go with laminate, is a standard $0.30 white foam enough? If not, could you recommend something off Amazon, which looks to have some inexpensive good looking underlayment?

For example:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YTB6SO8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-FY9Cb5MGV4WG

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0049VIQCK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_nHY9CbGNPDXSH

What could I lay under the vinyl in the kitchen (if I go with laminate in other rooms) to level out the floor?

Thank you
m4gnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2019, 11:18 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Vinyl vs laminate - question

By specifying that this will be in a kitchen and that the laminate is non-waterproof, you have eliminated the laminate in my mind.
rjniles likes this.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 03:25 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,370

Yeah, don't do it. I put a fairly expensive non-waterproof laminate in my dining room - first glass of wine that hit the floor wrecked it. Similar happened to my Pergo wood laminate floor in the computer room (it did better, but a corner of it still got wrecked by a puppy accident.)

I'll never buy non-waterproof hard floor again >.< LifeProof makes some nice waterproof vinyl that looks a lot like wood. I had a sample of it fully submerged for a week and there was zero damage, also threw the sample around the house and had no scratches heh
rjniles likes this.

(I'm not a professional, just a homeowner who dabbles in a bit of everything DIY)
Mystriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,598

Buying from amazon, you don't know what you're getting. For all I know, it may come with strong chemical smell. Cheapest foam padding for floating laminate is fine. Vinyl lays fairly flat and is more likely to mold itself to the floor shape, so I think not a first choice to go directly over a tile. Read the manual and see what it says about tile floor. Both vinyl and laminate need expansion space. Vinyl base trim for kitchen and 3/4 quarter round for other areas. Esp with locking floating flooring, you need to install as is and cover the gaps. Don't try to cut the jambs and trims and slip the flooring under. It does not work well and possible to damage the flooring.

You stained the floor with oil base stain. You may want to wait little longer for the oil to evaporate. If trapped, it could take lot longer for the smell to go away.

Homedepot has henry patching compound. Read its manual for sticking to tiles. On wood and wonderboard, it worked well for me. If works, it could cover over the tile joints. Check your tile floor with a straight edge or string but it does not have to be dead flat but you don't want to create high and low spots over each tile and grout joints. If you've never done this, it may be worth removing the tiles and lay down an underlayment such as 1/4" ply with joints patched.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement