Vinyl Tile Over Old Vinyl? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2014, 04:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12

Vinyl Tile over old vinyl?

I have an old kitchen floor that to me looks like vinyl (one whole sheet not tiles), it must over 30 years old. I will NOT be scraping off the old vinyl because I have no doubt it has a nasty coating of asbestos on it. I'd like to install new resilient vinyl peel and stick tiles over it. The old "vinyl" is faded and is peeling up at the corners and the floor itself is squeaking and uneven. Before installing the new vinyl tiles I'd like to level the floor. After doing some research online I've come across "Henry Unipro Patch and Skimcoat". Is this my only option for what I'm trying to do or is there another/better option?
joe14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,652

Nope.
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:01 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 304

I'm never a big fan of putting vinyl over vinyl. Just the chance of adhesion issues bothers me and with flooring being a big investment, well, I would hate to take a chance. Why not put some 1/4" Luan down as new subfloor for your new vinyl tile? You could put down some floor leveler first, allow that to dry, then install the luan which will give you a nice, sound, level surface on which to lay your tiles.

I know they make the individual tiles better these days, but, I always thought installing sheet vinyl was much easier and made for a better floor than the tiles. Those darn tile squares are always separating and they look cheap if not installed correctly. You will have to make sure to install the tiles "perfectly square" or, just like ceramic or porcelain tile, you will have a mess on your hands. Just my two cents'.
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2014, 05:03 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

Not a chance.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 18,374

Luan has not an been an expectable underlayment for any flooring for many years.
Causes glue releases and bleed through.
Squeaks are caused from something going on below the flooring, under sized joist, over spanned, no tonged and grooved, ECT.
I would not use peel and stick in a dog house!!!
Old 07-24-2014, 08:39 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 396

IVC sheet vinyl is very DIY friendly. It can go right over the old vinyl if the curled areas are cut back and filled.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

Doable, can also be leveled out with thinset. I would cut the peeling areas up first and then fill the spaces in as you coat the floor with whatever you use to level it.
cd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 09:41 PM   #8
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 396

I would never put thinset under vinyl. No way to get it smooth enough.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

This is do-able. Cut away the curling vinyl around the edges and at any curling/separating seams. Use a modified ceramic tile thinset to fill the voids. It will stick to the vinyl okay. Sand the fills. Then use (spread) a skim-coat of "pressure sensitive adhesive" in addition to the adhesive that is already on the tiles, you'll need it. The floor doesn't have to be "level" it just has to be relatively smooth and flat in this case, level doesn't matter.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:44 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I would never put thinset under vinyl. No way to get it smooth enough.
I've done it and it's alright in a pinch, I wouldn't go out of my way just to use thinset though.
cd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 01:43 PM   #11
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd44 View Post
I've done it and it's alright in a pinch, I wouldn't go out of my way just to use thinset though.
I suggest using "modified thinset" only because of its ability to bond to the vinyl. My fear otherwise is that if you send a DIY on a shopping spree to look for a proper patching material they will not know which is acceptable from those that are not. The thinset is also easily sand-able to smooth and feather it out some.

If all that is being patched is a few inches around a perimeter or a small seam cut-away, then the thinset will work fine. Thinset doesn't normally make a good filler because it shrinks terribly and it is hard to trowel-out smooth because it sticks to the trowel. It will however bond itself to whatever vinyl adhesive is down there and it will stick to the surface of the vinyl and take the spreading of the additional adhesive (PSA).
Advertisement