Vinyl Tile Over Old Tile - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 91

Vinyl tile over old tile

I have an apartment that I am rehabbing. The upstairs comprised of 2 BR & hallway were tiled ages ago. The tile is worn out. There are a few pieces or chunks missing otherwise it appears to be firmly attached to the floor. I'd like to put down a new layer of vinyl tile over the old. 1. Is it feasible? 2. If so, what preparatory steps would I be advised to take before doing this? I could ask these questions in the flooring dept. at a box store. However, half the time they don't really know what they are talking about. Thanks in advance for suggestions.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 302

You can but you would have to lay down plywood underlayment first. I would just install carpet or hardwood laminate.
JustinK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 09:51 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
You can but you would have to lay down plywood underlayment first. I would just install carpet or hardwood laminate.
I have been thinking much the same actually. The hardwood laminate would be a better upgrade too. Never have installed hardwood laminate. How is it installed. Glue? Pneumatic nailer? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2014, 10:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

What type tile is on the floor now?
Tile could mean a lot of different things.
No such thing as hardwood laminate.
There's laminate that's just a picture of real wood laid over anything thing from particle board, fiberboard ECT. It's a floating, no glue, no nails.
Should never be used anyplace there's a chance of water getting on it!
Engineered flooring is real wood veneer over plywood or some other substrate. It's nailed, glued or with some styles can even be a floating floor.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What type tile is on the floor now?
Tile could mean a lot of different things.
No such thing as hardwood laminate.
There's laminate that's just a picture of real wood laid over anything thing from particle board, fiberboard ECT. It's a floating, no glue, no nails.
Should never be used anyplace there's a chance of water getting on it!
Engineered flooring is real wood veneer over plywood or some other substrate. It's nailed, glued or with some styles can even be a floating floor.
Need lowest price solution. This is a rental. No chance of a water problem. All rooms contain old Armstrong tile. Adhesive hasn't failed.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:59 AM   #6
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

I would try to see if self leveling cement will stick or just fill in holes with thin set and put vinyl over it.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robpo View Post
I would try to see if self leveling cement will stick or just fill in holes with thin set and put vinyl over it.
Sure. Originally this was sort of my 'plan'. Then JustinK responded by saying I would need to lay down a plywood underlayment. I think that would be a huge pain wrestling with a bunch of sheets of plywood dragging them up a winding staircase to a 3rd floor space. You are suggesting by contrast that with a little bit of prep work I could successfully apply a second generation of vinyl over the first without laying down the plywood?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
Rob

Rewards Points: 826

Sure. Older homes (40s) used a tar like glue to hold down linoleum which was too difficult to remove so you had to go right over them. Newer homes it is easier to remove the vinyl and patch any bad spots with a top and bond on the wood and then put new floor. If your floor doesn't come up easy I would use a top and bond to fill any voids and go right over it. If the top and bond doesn't stick to the tile then I would use thin set, it sticks to just about anything. First I would see if the old floor comes up easy.

Last edited by Robpo; 04-15-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Robpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 04:54 PM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,652

I would not remove the old tile. It and the adhesive could both contain asbestos. I would use a cementitious based floor filler to fill any holes, use a wax remover to clean the floor and tile over the tile.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement