Vinyl Plank Starter Row - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2016, 06:03 AM   #1
HWU

Rewards Points: 62

Vinyl plank starter row

I am getting ready to lay a vinyl plank floor in the basement. As we all know the walls are not square. So how can I make sure the floor "looks good" and is somewhat square. Last night I laid the first row, then I thought ......should I install the trim? My thought was once the trim is installed I could adjust the first row to look "even" away from the wall all the way down. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
HWU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 09:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,583

Buy some poster board, cut into sections equal to the depth (from the wall) of the tile, number and tape them together end to end. They can be longer than your planks.

Then lay them out along the primarily visible wall. Keep them flat they need not touch the wall, probably won't. Use a square or straight edge placed against the wall to scribe a line on the poster board.

Cut along the line and then cut your first course of tile to match the poster board. Your first seam will be equal distance from the wall.

Note you probably should lay them out across the room to make sure you don't wind up with a sliver on the opposite wall.

The faster way is to start your first course equal distance from the wall and cut the edges to fit as you lay them. A pro does not start along a wall unless using a snap together type floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 144

If your planks a 5" wide snap a chalk line away from the starting wall at 5.375".Aling your first row on the line and then shim to wall to keep them on the line.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement