Vinyl Flooring Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FatBear

Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 PM   #1
Doozer

Rewards Points: 235

Vinyl flooring question

We're thinking about putting down high quality vinyl click-lock plank-style flooring in the kitchen as we cannot find tile that we like. This flooring is pretty new and is considered a hybrid as it is layered up like laminate, only the core is plastic and the surface is vinyl. It's not just solid vinyl all the way through like the stuff I put in a bathroom a couple of years ago.

Floating floors require expansion space around the edges. But what happens when you've got the refrigerator sitting on the edge of the floor? Won't the whole floor try to move the other way? And if that other way is about 22' long and across the direction of the planking, will there be buckling problems?

Does it make sense to put the refrigerator on it's own piece of vinyl and isolate it by putting an expansion joint around it? Or am I over-thinking?

We are in San Diego where it almost never gets below about 59 degrees and rarely over 85 in the house, even without HVAC. (We only heat or cool when temperatures are outside of the 60 to 80 degree range.)

Thanks.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 08:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 176

Re: Vinyl flooring question

I'm no flooring expert, but I laid sheet vinyl in my kitchen/dining room. The original vinyl floor was loose laid and I laid this one loose as well. Where the refrigerator sits the manufacturer called for two sided tape in an X the size of the fridge. It's been down two years and it hasn't had any issues. I had read that loose laid vinyl can buckle up even when loose laid. But it never has.

One of our more experienced flooring guys should chime in here later.
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2018, 09:04 PM   #3
Doozer

Rewards Points: 235

Re: Vinyl flooring question

This will be click-lock planks, like laminate flooring (Pergo, etc.) only plastic/vinyl.
Mike Milam likes this.
FatBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement