Tyroc Bowing Upwards? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-17-2015, 02:22 PM   #1
jhr

Rewards Points: 4
Unhappy

Tyroc bowing upwards?

Hi folks - I just finished installing about 550 sq ft of Tyroc subfloor in my basement (concrete) a few days ago and am waiting for the finished floor (12mm laminate) to arrive ... Some of the boards are now bowing upwards (middle of the board) ... not all of them ... just a few here and there.

Needless to say, the laminate cannot go on until I find a solution ... The tyroc site says that this should not happen.

Any ideas what is going on? How can I fix this?

One thought I had was to use tap cons to hold these boards down to the concrete ... Is that a bad idea?
jhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:00 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

I recall a question about this product about 3 weeks ago. That HO was gonna install porcelain tiles over it. The thread is located here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f84/porce...bfloor-233777/

I'll bet the problem is your floor is not flat enough to meet specs and so the Tyroc contoured to the slab.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 03:26 PM   #3
jhr

Rewards Points: 4

Thanks Jaz. The odd thing is that the boards are bowing upwards in such a manner that there is air space under the board ... I can step on these bowing boards and it flexes down until it contacts with the concrete. My initial reaction was that the boards are somehow expanding against the drywall, but that is not the case ... I used spacers to ensure this does not happen, and can see that there is still no contact with the walls.

My theory is that the rubber bottom layer is shrinking (it has been very cold in the NE recently) and that is causing these boards to bend. If that is the case, I am concerned that the opposite will happen in the summer months, and boards will start bowing upwards at the seams when the ground starts heating up!

Sadly, I don't have the luxury of time or money to rip these out and start over ... do you think screwing these boards down to the concrete be sufficient to offset this?
jhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
... do you think screwing these boards down to the concrete be sufficient to offset this?
No, but who knows it might work IF it's just one localized area so the other panels can move outwards from the ones that are fastened. Just a guess. The area that is not flat enough might be near the ones that are lifting, or you have a bird-bath under the area.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
basement , bowing , concrete , subfloor , tyroc