Transition Troubles? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-16-2015, 02:24 AM   #1
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Transition troubles?

I recently tore out most of my first floor flooring. The tile from the kitchen, and the nasty, nasty wall to wall carpeting in the dining/living area have finally been hauled to the dump!

I am leaning toward a luxury vinyl tile (floating) in the kitchen/dining area, and carpet tiles in the living area. My problem is it is one big open area, so if I go this route I am looking at a 12' long transition between the two floorings.

I was looking for ways to handle this, and saw this thread, but didn't want to derail it:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/lamina...n-help-271161/

I'm on a concrete slab, but I have radiant heating (hot water pipes) so I am hesitant, to say the least, about drilling in the concrete.

Are there any other options for a transition like this? If it matters, there is a support post that will fall half way through this line.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 03:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

No pictures in this or the other cross posted, so really there is no way of telling. You can glue it down with Liquid nails. All you can do is take some of the material and do a rough lay out, and find out what the difference in heights are.

If one is lower than the other, you may have to put an under layment or padding down with real carpet in the living area. Personally the floating Vinyl Tiles just make a place look cheap, unless you are willing to fork out money for better quality products.

If you have a local showroom or shop that does this kind of work. Discuss the project with them, bring your tablet with you, to show them the pictures of the area in question, and showing the two different materials.

You can get thicker Carpet Squares. But again, they tend to make the place look like a commercial office building in the end.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 12

Thanks Greg, buy my concern is not so much in the difference in heights, (I think they will be fairly close) but securing the transition pieces to the concrete without having to drill.

Is Liquid Nails be the best choice or is there another brand or product that would be better.

I'd post pics, but it is just a concrete floor.

This is a pic of my layout. The purple line is where I plan the transition.
Attached Thumbnails
Transition troubles?-2206a.jpg  
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2015, 07:36 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Need an actual picture of the two products together. There is no way to tell from the drawing what the difference is.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Blondesense (05-17-2015)
Old 05-16-2015, 08:12 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Liquid nails makes a lot of different products---

My 'go to' adhesive is PL Premium----that is what I use to stick wood to concrete---tough bond---you may need to weight down the wood with books,bricks or some other height while the glue sets.

Wise move--damaging the in floor heat will ruin your day.
Blondesense (05-17-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement