Trafficmaster Allure Ultra Luxury Vinyl Planks - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By JenniferG
  • 1 Post By JenniferG
  • 1 Post By JenniferG

Old 05-23-2018, 11:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Trafficmaster Allure Ultra Luxury Vinyl Planks

I've been reading the other thread here a bit on this LVP, because I've been contemplating installing Allure Ultra Luxury Vinyl Planks in my home. (Going to go with the Black Walnut I think because we like dark and clean quarter-sawn vs. flat cut rustic look.)

It's good to read that someone has had the LVP for 4 years and it's still holding up for them.

I am wondering, right now we just took up all our ceramic tile, due to a plumbing repair cut out through the slab in the middle of the kitchen floor. We scraped it... took forever.

Have to level out the area they cut out. Any recommendations as to which product and method I should use to level off the floor where the repair was done? I want it is smooth and level as possible so I don't feel it once I lay down the LVP.

I am wondering if I start with the Black Walnut in the kitchen (about 210 sq ft.) if I could expand that out later into the rest of the house (about another 800 sq ft.). Do you think the Black Walnut would be available say a few years later and in the same shade? Maybe if I got the Black Walnut later I'd have to mix in the old planks with the new to keep the colors more even? I dunno. I am afraid to commit to 1000 sq ft right off.. but I would like hardwood look through entire house as I am into antiques from the Victorian to early art deco period, where hardwood floors were common.

Need to get something in the kitchen as my BF's family is coming to visit early next month

Last edited by JenniferG; 05-23-2018 at 11:45 PM.
JenniferG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 12:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,262

Re: Trafficmaster Allure Ultra Luxury Vinyl Planks

If you are into antiques, you may not like the vinyl planks. Yes, they are durable & handle spills well but the wood look can be seen only when you look straight down.

I found them hard to keep clean of dust in the grooves. Dark was the worst & these were only cherry.

I had teak parquet & oak in my house & there is no comparison between real wood & vinyl planks. But, I realize wood is more expensive.
Nik333 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 12:13 AM   #3

Thanks. Yeah this is a bit frustrating trying to decide. I could go with some ceramic tiles the kitchen & dining area that look fancy with like a pretty art deco pattern and real wood in the rest of the house later I suppose. I'd never put real wood in the kitchen, we get water everywhere and things spill often.. we are clumsy lol.. Grease pops out of the pan when frying etc. Ceramic tile sure is easy to clean.

Right now we have wall to wall carpeting in the rest of the house and well the previous owner put in the cheapest carpet they could find when selling it.. didn't hold up well at all. Was thinking wood (or simulated wood) planks would be better for allergies and what not and look more appropriate perhaps for these antiques.

Last edited by JenniferG; 05-24-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #4

Yes, I spill & drop a lot, too.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:28 AM   #5

What do you think about engineered hardwood? It's real wood veneer on the top right? It's only $3 a square foot, same as LVP.
YerDugliness and Nik333 like this.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:38 AM   #6

Btw, there'aportable screen with a handle that you can put over frying food. Really helps.

I got a beautiful Karastan rug from a friend. It cuts down on scratches on the wood. Then with a small air-purifier & a carpet cleaner. . .
Old 05-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #7

Yeah I have a the screen and carpet cleaner
Nik333 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:45 AM   #8

I'd love just to paint the floor with my own patterns or decopage .. like perhaps from color printouts from laser printer then cover it with epoxy or something. Would be cheap. I could even paint my own wood planks on paper with a few techniques.
Nik333 likes this.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:52 AM   #9

There's a lot of creative people here. They're probably asleep. I hope they'll comment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement