Touch Up Hardwood Floors? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mako1

Old 08-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 46

Touch up Hardwood floors?

Hello fellow DIY'ers,

I'm not sure what kind of finish my hardwood has, but there are some patches where the finish has worn off.

the behavior of the finish the best way I can describe is:
  • Water droplets stay as droplets on the finish, they do not get absorbed into the wood
  • When looking at it from an angle there is some gloss

I've attached some picture of the places where the finish has worn off. I went to Lowes and found this as possible product to touch up: Bruce Fresh Finish Urethane Top Coat

Would this be the correct product to use in this situation?

Thank you for your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Touch up Hardwood floors?-20160828_112805.jpg   Touch up Hardwood floors?-20160828_112842.jpg   Touch up Hardwood floors?-20160828_112908.jpg  
SpaceTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 11:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Re: Touch up Hardwood floors?

From the limited in you have given it would be a guess.Although an educated one.
How long ago were your floors refinished?
The way the top pic looks I would say there was an issue with the prep.That spot it not wearing .It is pealing.
From the limited info and the way the pics look I would say the finish is a waterborne urethane.
The Bruce product is a polish and not a good choice.It is also not for oil based finishes.I believe yours is waterborne the way it looks and is peeling but can not be sure by the info provided.
Homeowners with little experience usually turn a job like this into a mess.If the prep on the original refinish was not done correctly as I suspect you will have continued issues and be chasing your tail.
If you have moped or waxed these floors with anything containing silicone this will compound the problem.

Last edited by mako1; 08-29-2016 at 11:34 AM.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
SpaceTime (08-29-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
From the limited in you have given it would be a guess.Although an educated one.
How long ago were your floors refinished?
The way the top pic looks I would say there was an issue with the prep.That spot it not wearing .It is pealing.
From the limited info and the way the pics look I would say the finish is a waterborne urethane.
The Bruce product is a polish and not a good choice.It is also not for oil based finishes.I believe yours is waterborne the way it looks and is peeling but can not be sure by the info provided.
Homeowners with little experience usually turn a job like this into a mess.If the prep on the original refinish was not done correctly as I suspect you will have continued issues and be chasing your tail.
If you have moped or waxed these floors with anything containing silicone this will compound the problem.
Thanks Mako for the reply.

These patches were here when we bought the house. I don't use anything on my floor besides "Bona Hardwood Cleaner". We once tried "Murphy Oil", and that left the floor all sticky, then switched to Bona.

So if Bruce is not a good choice, what other options are there? Any more information I can provide to help determine what kind of finish this is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2016, 12:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 144

I would like to help you out more but without knowing what finish is on the floors I can't.The Bruce in you link was a polish .Not a finish so a bad choice.
As I said in my previous post and from the info it looks like a waterborne finish but I can't say for sure.The floor looks more like it's peeling than wearing which could be a sign of bad prep from the finishers.
If this floor runs into any closets you could get some acetone and just put a few drops somewhere that won't be seen.If it softens the finish quickly it's a oil based finish.
That's the first thing you need to figure out.Oil and water are not compatible as you well know.One will not bond to the other.I'm not sure that's the least of your problems but the first thing you need to figure out.
And don't shoot the messenger .You really do need to know what type of finish your dealing with before moving on.
SpaceTime likes this.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
SpaceTime (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako1 View Post
I would like to help you out more but without knowing what finish is on the floors I can't.The Bruce in you link was a polish .Not a finish so a bad choice.
As I said in my previous post and from the info it looks like a waterborne finish but I can't say for sure.The floor looks more like it's peeling than wearing which could be a sign of bad prep from the finishers.
If this floor runs into any closets you could get some acetone and just put a few drops somewhere that won't be seen.If it softens the finish quickly it's a oil based finish.
That's the first thing you need to figure out.Oil and water are not compatible as you well know.One will not bond to the other.I'm not sure that's the least of your problems but the first thing you need to figure out.
And don't shoot the messenger .You really do need to know what type of finish your dealing with before moving on.
Thanks Mako, I am going to try this out because the hardwood does run into the closet. Once I determine the finish type (oil or water), what options do I have for each?
Old 09-14-2016, 01:29 PM   #6

Anyone else have any suggestions on this as well?
Old 09-14-2016, 02:04 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 4,110

Not a small job but I think the simplest solution is to have your floors refinished. Without knowing what EXACTLY is on the floor now AND having considerable skill, spot-repairing is going to stand out.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stick\shift For This Useful Post:
SpaceTime (09-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement