TIPS ON LAYING Pre Sealed SALTILLO TILE? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 340

TIPS ON LAYING pre sealed SALTILLO TILE?

Or should we say guidelines .I am using Mapei Ultra Flex 1 on a 12''x12''
Sealed tile from Floor and Decor
I've read to keep the thinset wetter than usual to fill in the unevenness better
So 1 question is ,when the mix starts to dry out is it advisable to add water and remix
2. how about back buttering ,is it worth the effort on 1500 pcs?
3. I am laying over an aged concrete slab ,is a bonding agent over the slab advisable?
4.and what is the difference between mapai ultra flex and Kerabond anyway
5. white or gray thinset
any tips would be greatly appreciated
kt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 08:26 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 7,174

Jaz is the one to answer this----I've never set Saltillo tile---

I do know this--you need a deep bed of mud---look for a Saltillo trowel

the two thinsets you mentioned are different---one is a latex modified--the Kerabond is an unmodified----

Let us hope that Jaz comments----from what I have heard from tile setters with Saltillo experience---there is a learning curve---
kt82 (08-26-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

They shipped Ultraflex 2 maybe it has more "flex" in it
We will wait for Mr Jaz to weigh in
I have opened up a crate of 16''x 16'' on a job 2 years ago and 10% or more were all ready cracked or broken
I remember seeing floors made up of only broken pieces and now I know why
Didn't look bad either I may try that
any way I am off to Dallas to pick it up

We do not recommend "soaking" Saltillo tile prior to installation.
it brings out the salts

Last edited by kt82; 08-26-2015 at 08:43 AM. Reason: hit post toooo soooon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 02:47 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi guys,

1. Do not add anything to the mix after the initial mixing and slaking. Doing so will weaken the batch. You should re stir each batch every 10-15 minutes if the bucket sits too long using a pointing trowel.

I would not mix the mortar any thinner than normal cuz you may not get the correct cured thickness, the tiles may droop. Thin mortar is also weak. I suggest you don't spread thinset too far ahead and to back-butter.

2. It takes extra time, but if you're not sure of yourself, do it. See how our friend Phil has made it easy.
Also see how to spread the thinset to the floor.

3. Absolutely not. Make sure the slab is free of sealers, oil, dirt, wax etc. The slab should absorb water. Test by dropping several drops of water on various spots. The water should soak in within a few minutes.

4. There's literally dozens of thinsets that would be fine for your job. The only slightly odd thing is that it's Saltillo. Saltillo is soft so the thinset will set faster.

5. Makes no difference, I usually used white, but gray is cheaper.

Tips?
Make sure the floor is flat, have you checked with a long straight edge? Got cracks? You need expansion joints in the field in addition to the perimeter. Does the sun shine into the room much? They make Saltillo grout. You gonna use a chalkline grid system or just chalklines, laser?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
kt82 (08-26-2015), oh'mike (08-26-2015)
Old 08-26-2015, 08:20 PM   #5

thanks for the tips I will watch the video's
i opened up 2 of the pallets today ,1 pallet was 11 1/4 wide the other 11 5/8'' and they definitely aren't flat
should make for an interesting day tomorrow .
yeah i snapped a grid with 12 1/4'' squares ,mainly so I will know were the thin set goes

And I got the saltillo grout
Just curious re: the water soaking up the water test ,I have used Red Guard in showers, and over crack before . It did not seem like it absorbed water .
I do maybe 2 tile jobs a year basically to help out a friend (usually because they want to borrow my tools )

Last edited by kt82; 08-26-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Yikes, that's a lot of difference in size. Hope you can keep them separated by rooms or something. Min. trowel ", mighta been a good idea to go to a " "U", but I doubt that thinset is rated for it, might be?

Redgard is not supposed to act like bare concrete.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
kt82 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 184

I usually pre seal satillos before setting and cutting ( Glaze and Seal penetrating sealer ) , then after setting I seal once more to aid as a grout release. I never worked with presealed, so I do not know how well the tile is sealed.

Before you make any wet cuts on a saw, double check to make sure the tiles are sealed. See if water beads up, if it does not, you want to seal them with a good penetrating water based sealer ( sounds ironic I know ), since if water penetrates, so will the slurry when you wet saw and the tile will be darker than a non cut piece.

Satillos usually are really humped, super satillos tend to be flatter. I use grey thinset. For normal satillo I always back butter and comb the floor and check for 100% coverage. Usually a 1/2" x 1/2" trowel on both. You will go through a lot of thinset on satillos. About 40 to 60 square feet per 50 lb bag. Grouting is easy since the grout will set up really fast, and you will find yourself doing a lot of water changes, more than if you were just grouting ceramic tile. With satillo you grout smaller sections and tool it with a sponge as you go. You do not let it set up like you would a porcelain floor, since if you let it set up too long , you'll have a tough time getting it off and tooling the grout joints to a uniform look. Satillo grout mix has a different silica grade ( more coarse and different ratio ) than normal colored grout.

I did a super satillo job where the client wanted white grout ( this was on an indoor install ). I use Custom's Polyblend #11 Snow White and added #30 silca sand to the mix ( 1:1 or try a 2:1 grout/silca for a smoother finish ). I did this to minimize grout shrinkage and cracking, as the joints came out about 5/8" to 3/4" inch tooled out ( keep in mind super satillos also have rounded corners, normal satillos are square cornered, so the grout rides up on the rounded edge ). Though Customs is rated up to 1/2" , beyond that it tends to crack a little , especially on deep joints like you get with satillos. I selaed the grout and body of the tile with Glaze n Seal Ole Mexican Paver Sealer at the end.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
kt82 (08-27-2015), oh'mike (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 07:30 AM   #8

thanks very much . Some great ideas. These are Super with a pre seal
I did plan on cleaning each tile as I went (i bought a lot of sponges )
Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,600

its std process. is the pre-seal all sides of the tile, or just top side? if sealer is not on bottom then the tiles will be very porous so it makes the thinset set faster. you could mist the backside with water using spray bottle to slow the setting process just a tad. if you back butter then i would downsize the trowel notch too. a dry tile will "suck" in the thinset making a good bond, but dont mix the thinset too wet.

i would not separate tile by size because you'll end with with batch differences. if you can mix them w/o a size issue then that would be best.
concrete_joe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to concrete_joe For This Useful Post:
kt82 (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 12:28 AM   #10

"the grout will set up really fast, and you will find yourself doing a lot of water changes, more than if you were just grouting ceramic tile. With satillo you grout smaller sections and tool it with a sponge as you go"

Question 1 For the grout on the Super tile do you leave the grout below the round edge or knock off close to the top of tile?

Last edited by kt82; 08-28-2015 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:33 AM   #11

a few pictures of day 1

everything went fine ..the different sizes was a challenge
but the tiles set faster than large format porcelain due to not having to match the corners
2 pallets were 11'' x11'' 1 pallet was 11 1/4'' x 11 1/4''

1200 ' to go
before and after
Attached Thumbnails
TIPS ON LAYING  pre sealed SALTILLO TILE?-rd-entry.jpg   TIPS ON LAYING  pre sealed SALTILLO TILE?-rd-entry-before.jpg  
The Following User Says Thank You to kt82 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 184

[/QUOTE]Question 1 For the grout on the Super tile do you leave the grout below the round edge or knock off close to the top of tile?[/QUOTE]

that's a personal preference. I like to leave a bit of reveal of the rounded edge on supers.
intelpcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to intelpcguy For This Useful Post:
kt82 (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 AM   #13

question 2 on the grout , In the field i have 1/2'' lines but @ perimeter I left
a 1/4'' .I don't like to run shoe,so do I need to get some non sanded to fill around the edges? Or will the #30 sand go into the 1/4'' gap?
Old 09-18-2015, 12:39 AM   #14

finally finished setting the 1200' in the big room ,grouting was more time consuming than setting the tiles .
Be sure and apply a sealer before grouting ,even on the presealed it will save you lot's of time and effort .
Any body have a pro and con on using a very dry grout since the edges are so porous?
the Dry grout was easier to control in the 3/4'' grout lines

Hmm that is the wrong picture
Attached Thumbnails
TIPS ON LAYING  pre sealed SALTILLO TILE?-img_1200.jpg  

Last edited by kt82; 09-18-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:44 AM   #15

correct picture
Attached Thumbnails
TIPS ON LAYING  pre sealed SALTILLO TILE?-img_1199.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement