Tile To Wood Transition And Door Frame - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 69

Tile to Wood Transition and Door Frame

Thanks for all your responses to my previous question. A second related question.

I tiled my bathroom and placed a marble transition strip between the ceramic tiles (in the bathroom) and the wooden tiles (in the corridor leading to the bathroom). There is a small gap (about 1/2 inch between the ceramic and the wooden tile. I filled this gap with grout, but it is still evident (see picture 1 with the yellow outline). What kind I do to improve the look of this transition? One idea was to remove the grout, and then a horizontal piece of thin wooden transition along the marble ... but I am not sure.

Secondly, in preparation to lay the tile, I cut the door frame too high, leading to an ugly gap (about 3 inch) between the door frame and the tile (see picture 2). What can i do to close this gap?

thanks again in anticipation for your advice and ideas .

thanks _ Oyiwaa.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile to Wood Transition and Door Frame-tile-wood-transition-gap.jpg   Tile to Wood Transition and Door Frame-doorframe_tile-gap.jpg  
Oyiwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,589

Once the grout ages and blends it may be fine. It surely does not look that bad in the image.

Casing is cheap enough to replace and that is probably what I would do there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

You've got a " gap cuz your marble threshold is only 4" instead of 4.5" as it should be. Why on earth the big boxes import the 4" is beyond explanation. Modern houses walls are 4.5" older homes are 5.25". There are no 4" walls.

You should remove that marble and get the right thing. The threshold should also be set higher than the bathroom floor, " or so will do.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2015, 02:19 PM   #4
Tileguy

The right thresholds look like these.
Attached Thumbnails
Tile to Wood Transition and Door Frame-img_8215.jpg  

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 04-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 69

Thanks for all your responses. I will look for some casing as a replacement.

Jazman: where do you recommend I get the correct 4.5" marble transition strip? My supplier - Avalon Tiles - only carries 4".

thanks - Oyiwaa
Oyiwaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #6
Tileguy

Okay..... am I supposed to use my E.S.P. powers to determine where you are? Ok, I see you're in the PA, DE, NJ area.

Just kiddin'...... cuz I'm not sure which store would have them anyway. However, if a large distributor near you would like a container or two, tell them to contact me. Shower curbs too.

Back to you....... If none of the real tile shops have it, go to a marble/granite fabricator and they will cut you one. It'l probably be 2cm though, which should work out good since it needs to be higher than the bathroom.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement