Tile Snap Cutter - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52

Tile snap cutter

In the last ten or so years I've done a bunch of ceramic and porcelain tile work. Started out just doing a bathroom floor in my house and then once family and friends found out I did some tile work they all wanted something done. I enjoy doing tile work so don't really mind and usually get a few bucks for new tools with each job. When I started my house I bought a ridgid wet saw and have been happy with it. Use that and an angle grinder. But would like to pick up a snap cutter to use for straight cuts instead of setting up the wet saw.

Looking for recommendations on a decent snap cutter. Don't do this everyday and don't make a living doing it so can't afford the 500+ dollar ones. But would like something decent. Maybe 150-250 bucks. It will get used maybe a handful of times a year. Home depot has this one for 150 which gets pretty good reviews, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Rubi-Spee...3961/203352144. Is this one good enough or should I go up a step or two? My worry is spending 150-200 bucks and it just being an Ok cutter and being upset I didn't spend another 100 bucks and get a better cutter. I've read sigma are some of the best but they start out at 400+ and don't think I want to spend that much. So looking for advice from homeowners that tile or pros that might be able to give some recommendations. Thanks.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

What's the largest size tile you wanna cut and ever do diagonals?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
What's the largest size tile you wanna cut and ever do diagonals?

Jaz
The largest tile I have used is 16" but mostly 12" and under. Diagonals once in a while but not usually. The Rubi from HD will do 18" tiles on diagonal which I think would be fine for me. Just want to make sure the 150 bucks spent is worth it. Seems like there are cheap tile cutters from 20 bucks to 100 bucks and then expensive ones from 400 and up. Not too many in the 100-300 dollar range. Just don't want to spend 150 bucks and find out it is a waste of money.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 748

Although I'm now retired, I have 4 cutters that are able to cut tiles 13" and larger.

A 26" Sigma pull that I bought 5-6 years ago and have used only to make 10-20 practice cuts, and HATE. Worked great at the trade show and I paid well over $400.

A Rubi TS-40 which I've had since the mid-late '90's and was my everyday cutter for tiles upto 17", can cut 12" on diagonal. Cost about $150 back then.

A Qep 20" Brutus that I bought at HG in an emergency cuz the Sigma hadn't arrived yet and I was started the 20" tile install the next day. Cost about $109.

The cutter you've linked looks very much like the QEP. Although it cuts fairly well, it is not designed well. The rails are too big in diameter, the splitting claw and the rail obscure the operator's view of the wheel which makes it difficult to "see" the mark. That and since the rails are too low you almost have to look from the side to see where the wheel is. I don't like this cutter at all.

The Rubi TS is easy to use and worked well until every other job was huge size tiles. It'll cut up to 17", so since many tiles are under 16" this would be the one I recommend and you can get one for about $220.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement