Tile Floor Removal & Replacement - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile Floor Removal & Replacement

Should all the glue from the previous tile be completely removed from a concrete floor before installing new tile? Or is it acceptable to leave about 60% of the old glue before you install new tile. Our installer is telling us that he will apply a thick enough adhesive to allow for sufficient adhesion on top of the left over glue (new glue over old glue). This guy has his own business with good ratings so we're just questioning if this is the right way to do it.
Jimbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,914

Re: Tile Floor Removal & Replacement

Type of tile??
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,338

If vinyl or commercial/composite, I don't see how that is possible. They need to be rolled and rolled against fairly flat surface. Left over glue will not be flat or level. I'm not a pro. If that is what he says, I'd put that into contract and make sure the tile looks flat and all joints tight. And payment after the work is done and finished. Speaking of contract, I think I'd have assumed (as newby home owner) that old glue would be removed and the work would start and end with new material. Remaining old glue may not last as long as new, another point.

I think even ceramic tile work would be the same.

https://flooring-professionals.com/f...esive-residue/

Above for compatibility, glue or patch. It looks like even if old glue is scraped away, residue remains. Maybe there is primer for something like this?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carpdad For This Useful Post:
Jimbo51 (03-04-2019)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Ceramic tile
Jimbo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 10:14 PM   #5

If the ‘glue’ you are referring to is thin set mortar from the previous tile, you can get away with leaving some. Any leftover mortar must be adhered to the concrete floor. If anybis loose, whatever is installed on top will be loose. It will also need to be thoroughly vacuumed and dust free. Lastly it will need to be primed for adequate adhesion of the new mortar.
You said your installer could use a thicker coat of mortar to get over the existing mortar. This comes with its own issues. Will this create issues with the level and/flatness of your new floor?(it’ll be kinda ‘Set In Stone’). How will it effect any transitions, to other areas, if any). Lastly, but very important, will troweling over the old mortar allow for proper curing of the setting materials. You should discuss the above points with your installer and adjust your contract/agreement accordingly.
Note: Bernie Madoff had his own company, and a lot of pissed of clients.
TurtleTile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement