Tile Floor And Acrylic Shower - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-22-2013, 11:31 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 204

tile floor and acrylic shower

Soon I will be tiling the floor in my basement bath remodel.

However, I'm unsure how I should deal with the fact that there is a gap between my substrate and the acrylic shower pan. I know ideally the shower pan lip should set on the the subfloor, but the install didn't go as planned. I did self-leveler under it and set it in a bed of mortar. It otherwise is a solid install.

My question is, how should I deal with this gap? I'm not sure exactly how large it is because I'm not at home right now, but let's say it is certainly no more than 1/2". It looks larger in the picture because of shadows.

Should I just caulk it, then tile up to it and caulk it again?
Attached Thumbnails
tile floor and acrylic shower-shower.jpg  
benleef is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

That whole floor should have been leveled not just under the tub.
There's no great way to hide it without doing it.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #3

thanks for the response, Joe. The whole floor was "leveled." It was my first time using self-leveler so it didn't turn out great.

I think once I tile, assuming my tile is 1/4" thick and my thinset is 1/4", it should cover the gap. My question is, should I caulk it before tiling? Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I have many other options at this point. The only other thing I can think of is that if the gap is over 1/2", I could maybe put ditra on the floor to raise it up a bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 784

If that lip is not solid (flexes when you stand on it) I'd put some "dry pack" under it. dry pack is a fast setting mortor that you can shape nicely in there... available any big-box.

1/2 inch is alot of build... but it is what it is. If that gap is not to big when you build the tile, I'd caulk it. If it is too big for a caulk line, I'd use some plastic molding.

Good luck
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #5

I do have some rapid set mortar leftover so I'll do what you say and mix up a batch and pack it under there for some extra support. It doesn't really flex, but I already have the mortar so why not.

I'm going to measure the gap when I get home, I don't think it is too large because I wasn't really worried about it at the time and figured I'd deal with it later, but now that I'm getting closer to tiling I'm starting to worry about the best solution.

Like you say, if I'm unable to build it up, I may just do a piece of plastic molding-It is just a basement bathroom-should I glue this to the shower pan or the floor? Or both?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:26 PM   #6
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 784

Quote:
Originally Posted by benleef View Post
I do have some rapid set mortar leftover so I'll do what you say and mix up a batch and pack it under there for some extra support. It doesn't really flex, but I already have the mortar so why not.

I'm going to measure the gap when I get home, I don't think it is too large because I wasn't really worried about it at the time and figured I'd deal with it later, but now that I'm getting closer to tiling I'm starting to worry about the best solution.

Like you say, if I'm unable to build it up, I may just do a piece of plastic molding-It is just a basement bathroom-should I glue this to the shower pan or the floor? Or both?
I would to both... both for streanth and for seal.... maybe a silicone, or maybe even poly seam seal if the floor or shower curb is curvy and needs a little more adhesive hold.
Advertisement