Tile To Floating Floor Transition. 3/4 Inch - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-19-2019, 06:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 753

tile to floating floor transition. 3/4 inch

I have a transition from a floating engineered wood floor up to a tile floor in the laundry room. The transaction occurs at a doorway. The transition is about 3/4 inches. What is the best way to do the transition? I saw there was a carpet reducer where one side is higher then the other.
greentrees is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 08:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,223

Re: tile to floating floor transition. 3/4 inch

Are you saying that the tile is 3/4" higher than the wood?

Sounds like you need a product similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pergo-Co...1302/300700948
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2019, 12:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Are you saying that the tile is 3/4" higher than the wood?

Sounds like you need a product similar to this: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Pergo-Co...1302/300700948

Yes. The tile is 3/4" higher then the floating engineered wood floor. The 4 in 1 molding looks like it might work. I'll have to stop by the store to see if there is a color match. Else I might have to cut/glue/stain a piece of oak to match. I am not sure how that might go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 07:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,223

Got a router table?
huesmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by huesmann View Post
Got a router table?
I have a table saw and a miter saw. Not sure if those would help. I assume your suggestion is to buy some raw wood and cut and stain. Does the end product come out as nice as a transition strip you buy at the store, or does it look like a DIY job? A polyurethane finish might make it look similar.
Old 08-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #6
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 3,562

As needed, I make my own transitions. I don't like the plastic or MDF transitions available at the box and flooring stores. It takes a little frustration and a lot of oops' to get it perfect, so start with 1' pieces of wood and start making your own on your table saw. Good angles and dadoes will make it "custom" built and you can finish it to match your flooring.
Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,424

If tile and the flooring edges are in finish condition, you can butt the threshold to the edges. If rough cut, you need something with a lip to cover the cut. Also how wide the threshold needs to be. Did you end the cuts inside the opening/jamb or at the edges? You may just have to cover with wide metal or such. Very thin lip on a wood threshold does not work. The thin part would eventually splinter off.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...s%2C144&sr=8-6

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...%2C144&sr=8-12
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler48 View Post
As needed, I make my own transitions. I don't like the plastic or MDF transitions available at the box and flooring stores. It takes a little frustration and a lot of oops' to get it perfect, so start with 1' pieces of wood and start making your own on your table saw. Good angles and dadoes will make it "custom" built and you can finish it to match your flooring.
I think I have a solution using two transition strips that might not look too bad once glued together. But I might try the metal transition first. And then go with a custom built version if none of the first two work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpdad View Post
If tile and the flooring edges are in finish condition, you can butt the threshold to the edges. If rough cut, you need something with a lip to cover the cut. Also how wide the threshold needs to be. Did you end the cuts inside the opening/jamb or at the edges? You may just have to cover with wide metal or such. Very thin lip on a wood threshold does not work. The thin part would eventually splinter off.

https://www.amazon.com/M-D-Building-...%2C144&sr=8-12
The metal transition looks a bit interesting. I'll order it and see how the color scheme looks. I typically avoid metal transitions but this one might not look too bad, since it is going into a laundry room entrance, which will have a utility sink. I'll see how it compares to using a wood transition, which I typically use.
Old Today, 03:42 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 338

I really love the look of the flush flooring to flooring look myself... Sometimes you see it with a thin metal line between the 2 flooring types. Schluter makes it I think.
JPeters is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement