Tile Directly On Linoleum? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Tile directly on linoleum?

Hello -

Has anyone tried installing tile directly on Linoleum?

I have a bathroom/laundry room that has linoleum in it, under neath it sits a two .5" subfloors, which continues into the kitchen. I know the right way is taking out the subfloor in the bathroom/laundry room, then installing a backerboard then installing the tile.

however, I was thinking since the linoleum is smooth level surface, I can just install the tile over that.

Has anyone done this and what was the outcome?
cweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 06:57 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hello back,

Cweh, how do you pronounce that?

Hold on there, you're heading for failure, but we need lots more info.

First of all, I will bet your flooring is not "linoleum", might be, but it's probably sheet vinyl. It matters because there's a very good chance it has a printed pattern/finish and a thin layer of foam under it. Is the floor in one piece or is it 6' wide rolls? Got a pic?

You said it's on 1/2" subfloor. I find that very hard to believe. Check again. Let us know when the house was built.

Quote:
I know the right way is taking out the subfloor in the bathroom/laundry room, then installing a backerboard then installing the tile.
No it isn't. The "subfloor" is the material that is directly attached to the joists. Let us know what that is and any other layers above.

Aside from the subfloor and any wood layers over it, we need to know how the framing is built. Type & size of the joists, their spacing, and unsupported span to the inch. Would also be nice to know the species and grade of the joists. Also the age and location of the house would help and if there's a basement or crawl or?

Quote:
Has anyone done this and what was the outcome?
Yup, and sometimes it works. It's generally not recommended, especially over a suspended wood subfloor, but it can work.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]

Last edited by JazMan; 02-20-2014 at 07:00 PM.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Hello back,

Cweh, how do you pronounce that?

Hold on there, you're heading for failure, but we need lots more info.

First of all, I will bet your flooring is not "linoleum", might be, but it's probably sheet vinyl. It matters because there's a very good chance it has a printed pattern/finish and a thin layer of foam under it. Is the floor in one piece or is it 6' wide rolls? Got a pic?

You said it's on 1/2" subfloor. I find that very hard to believe. Check again. Let us know when the house was built.

No it isn't. The "subfloor" is the material that is directly attached to the joists. Let us know what that is and any other layers above.

Aside from the subfloor and any wood layers over it, we need to know how the framing is built. Type & size of the joists, their spacing, and unsupported span to the inch. Would also be nice to know the species and grade of the joists. Also the age and location of the house would help and if there's a basement or crawl or?

Yup, and sometimes it works. It's generally not recommended, especially over a suspended wood subfloor, but it can work.

Jaz

Jaz thanks for the prompt response. What I mean is I have a 1/2" playwood that the linolium is glued, which is nailed down to my true 1/2" subfloor. right way is to remove the first 1/2" playwood and install the backerboard over my true subfloor.

I'm thinking about using easymat at home depot as barrier between the linolium and tile.

House was built in 2005, but I feel like the builder went out of his way to use cheap stuff to build and sell quickly.
cweh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Quote:
right way is to remove the first 1/2" playwood and install the backerboard over my true subfloor.
No way!

I would be very surprised if the subfloor is 1/2". Can't be!

I would be very surprised if the underlayment is 1/2".

You have no comment on the other points?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement