Thoughts On Sheet Vinyl - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree15Likes

Old 02-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 42

thoughts on sheet vinyl

whats your thoughts on the new wood look sheet vinyl, you you put it in your home or not? 20 mill wear layer.
jim111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Rewards Points: 506

Re: thoughts on sheet vinyl

You know, some of that stuff looks pretty realistic. I know it's not trendy, but, I've always had great success with sheet vinyl. I've installed it in quite a few apartments when I was doing property maintenance along with my painting business. To me, what is really the difference between sheet vinyl that looks like wood and vinyl planks that look like wood?
SPS-1, 195795 and Nealtw like this.
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,912

Put the stuff that looks like vinyl planks in my son’s kitchen and dining room couple of years back....two toddlers and an Alaskan malamute tear asssin around.....not a mark!
Gymschu and 195795 like this.
ront02769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,578

Sheet vinyl and carpet is probably all that will ever be in our house. This was installed in 2006 and still looks as good as the day it was installed. Kids, grand kids and an occasional dog, some large, some small.
Attached Images

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 02:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,758

All of our units had vinyl in the entryways, kitchens and bathrooms. We did the math several years ago and found we could install ceramic ourselves for about the same cost as replacing the vinyl, when needed. Seems like the units are a little nicer now as a result.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #6
Guapo

Rewards Points: 11,950

I prefer rubberized flooring.
Guap0_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:25 AM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 730

Sheet vinyl is my choice. Planks have too many seams. If you have feet or back problems, ceramic can make it worse, so it is not recommended for older people.
195795 likes this.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim111 View Post
whats your thoughts on the new wood look sheet vinyl, you you put it in your home or not? 20 mill wear layer.

Better check that wear layer again, probably 2 Mil.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 10:39 AM   #9
retired framer

Rewards Points: 12,884

I have tried almost everything and I still think sheet vinyl is the best choice.
Gymschu, Auggie56 and 195795 like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
RRH

Rewards Points: 1,418

Sheet will be more waterproof.

Planks will cover more floor imperfections and will be easier to replace any damaged areas in the future.

From what I have seen the planks look more realistic.
RRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #11
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,820

I might have a good 1100sf installed in the basement as a temporary finish. Got it $0.77/sf wood look. Held with carpet tape in an "X" pattern. Performs beautifully on stable-temp concrete for almost 10 years now. Holds up to kids' roller skating, scootering and shenanigans. It can tear if something sharp is dropped at an angle, but just work out the dimple and retape the rip and done.

Loved the 12' wide install. If you have a lot of SF, make sure it comes from the same roll. As I used stock from 2 separate rolls, the thickness was off a hair.

Bonus is I had to remove it for a little water problem, let it dry, then relaid it. Originally I did install some of it upstairs on wood temporarily until the basement was ready, I would not recommend that. To much movement in the wood so you can get bubbles, and much softer subfloor where you will get imprints from heavy furniture (they worked out once it moved to the basement).

Sheet vinyl has its place as essentially a floating floor - it's on par with laminate. If that's the cost level your house maintains, it's a good product. If you have a higher value, then IMO move to glue down planks or further up the scale.
Gymschu likes this.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:10 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
I might have a good 1100sf installed in the basement as a temporary finish. Got it $0.77/sf wood look. Held with carpet tape in an "X" pattern. Performs beautifully on stable-temp concrete for almost 10 years now. Holds up to kids' roller skating, scootering and shenanigans. It can tear if something sharp is dropped at an angle, but just work out the dimple and retape the rip and done.

Loved the 12' wide install. If you have a lot of SF, make sure it comes from the same roll. As I used stock from 2 separate rolls, the thickness was off a hair.

Bonus is I had to remove it for a little water problem, let it dry, then relaid it. Originally I did install some of it upstairs on wood temporarily until the basement was ready, I would not recommend that. To much movement in the wood so you can get bubbles, and much softer subfloor where you will get imprints from heavy furniture (they worked out once it moved to the basement).

Sheet vinyl has its place as essentially a floating floor - it's on par with laminate. If that's the cost level your house maintains, it's a good product. If you have a higher value, then IMO move to glue down planks or further up the scale.
Sheet vinyl is better as a full spread installation. I have been doing that since 1973 and some from the 70s is still being used.
You might get 5 years from a laminate. A vinyl floor can last 30.
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-09-2019)
Old 02-09-2019, 01:38 PM   #13
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 1,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Sheet vinyl is better as a full spread installation. I have been doing that since 1973 and some from the 70s is still being used.
You might get 5 years from a laminate. A vinyl floor can last 30.
If its the newer wood-look resilient sheet vinyls that are not glued, they are in the same wheelhouse with laminates as far as cost and added value to the home.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:43 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onthetree View Post
If its the newer wood-look resilient sheet vinyls that are not glued, they are in the same wheelhouse with laminates as far as cost and added value to the home.
Right, neither one add value. They are the first thing ripped out when a house sells.
Old 02-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10,422

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRH View Post
Planks..... will be easier to replace any damaged areas in the future.

If it has a pattern, sheet can be repaired too, although probably you are correct that it may be easier with planks. My mother had a piece professionally replaced on a floor that looks like what Senior posted on #4 (actually, it was the installers that messed it up to start with). I assume they put the new piece on top of the old and cut the outline of both simultaneously. But I look down and try to find the repaired area, I can't find it today.
Nealtw likes this.
SPS-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement