Thinset For Ditra - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-09-2014, 02:23 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Thinset for Ditra

Simple but important question--I have gotten mixed answers as to what thinset you use beneath ditra. What is best?

I have exposure 1 underlayment plywood over which I have used some Mapei SLC. I plan to put thinset, ditra, thinset, then marble tile.

I seem to remember someone telling me that you put unmodified thinset beneath the ditra and then use modified thinset over top the ditra to set the tiles. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help!
DrDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #2
(the original)

Rewards Points: 756

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDIYer View Post
Simple but important question--I have gotten mixed answers as to what thinset you use beneath ditra. What is best?

I have exposure 1 underlayment plywood over which I have used some Mapei SLC. I plan to put thinset, ditra, thinset, then marble tile.

I seem to remember someone telling me that you put unmodified thinset beneath the ditra and then use modified thinset over top the ditra to set the tiles. Is that correct?

Thanks for the help!
No...latex pc to set the Ditra, unmodified to set the tile.
ratherbefishin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:

Thanks for the help!
Nope! If you want to be politically correct you should use "DITRA-SET". In this case you can use either for installing the DITRA and use unmodified to install the tile. Actually the truth is any quality modified thinset will work for everything if you aren't in a hurry to get back on the tile right away, because it may take longer to dry.
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Most of the time when Ditra is used it's over plywood or OSB subfloors. In those cases you would use a modified mortar to install Ditra, and unmodified to install the tiles, (including even porcelain). You are not doing that.

Your subfloor is SLC which is a Portland base, so essentially concrete. Mr. Schluter says you should be using unmodified to install Ditra too. Many of us don't necessarily agree cuz we know you can use modified over concrete too.

To set the tiles over Ditra you're supposed to use unmodified as stated. But many just can't let themselves install porcelain tiles with unmodified mortar. But believe me, Schluter knows what's best and a good unmod is the way to go. If you're lucky enough to live a an area where Ditraset is available, get it. There are many others though. Technically any unmodified meets the standards, but some of the real cheapos are scary to those of us that have used them. Stay away from the $6-7 ones at those places that wear vests.

Schluter is very hardheaded and their unmodified to set the tiles edict has caused many discussions and no doubt many to not use their products in the first place.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:57 PM   #5

It seems these is some controversy on this subject...so, from the senior experts on here, what would you use in my situation? (regardless of who says what, what you "should" use, etc.)

To complicate matters even more, my underlayment is currently partially SLC and partially exposure 1 plywood since I only covered the low spot with my SLC. However, I am probably going to go back and spread SLC over the entire floor because I have a 3mm lip at the edge of the SLC which think is probably a bad thing. I asked for advice on what to do with that in another thread, entitled "SLC Help" but haven't gotten any bites the last few days. I would appreciate input on that topic as well. Thanks!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

I wish you hadn't started another thread if it's the same project. Now ME confused.

I saw you mention marble mosaics. Is that for this room, the one with Ditra?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 08-10-2014, 10:05 PM   #7

Sorry...I felt like it was a different enough topic that I wouldn't get the help I was seeking with the misleading title.

I have 2 rooms...one with marble mosaic and one with 18" marble tiles. Right now I am working on the marble mosaic room, but both rooms are going to be the exact same scenario...both had exposure 1 underlayment, both with get some SLC, and both will get ditra.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-10-2014, 10:16 PM   #8
Tileguy

I see that you ignored some of our advise in the other thread and you didn't apply SLC on the entire room. So, now you have a 2-3 mm ridge. So now you have to apply primer and finish the job to make it flat. What is your long straight edge telling you? Sounds like the floor has a crown near the center. A 2-3 mm ridge is very bad.

You should not install tile smaller than 2" over Ditra. Sorry if you missed that in the instructions.

Jaz

Old 08-10-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

Jaz-I certainly didn't go against anyone's advice on purpose. I thought I asked that specifically in another thread and people said you can either cover the whole room or only part? Perhaps I read it wrong.

Regardless, I will go back and cover the entire room. I already primed the entire floor anyway.

I have never seen anything about not putting a basketweave tile over ditra. Why is that not possible? I don't have to use ditra...I was only doing so because I thought it was better. I guess that removes one step from laying the tile in one of the rooms! In that room, do I just put the thinset and tile directly over top the SLC?

Thanks for the help and again, if I didn't follow someone's instructions it was out of confusion and ignorance...not intentional.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:22 PM   #10

I do see where Bud said put it over the whole floor--oversight on my part.

Fortunately, I haven't burned any bridges. I had figured out with the lip that I needed to put it over top the entire floor and already went to Lowe's earlier and got more SLC!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #11
Tileguy

Small mosaic tiles can't be used over DITRA. The success of DITRA depends on the tile having a bigger foot print so-as to spread any point loads. Schluter says nothing smaller than 2" tile should be used over DITRA. That scares me a little. I would complete the SLC and then install the mosaics directly to the SLC eliminating the DITRA in this case.

I'm getting confused.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:48 AM   #12

Sorry for confusing everyone....if I wasn't so confused I wouldn't be confusing you!

One more question for now--when I go back and add SLC over the SLC I already put down, do I need to do anything special? In other words, I assume SLC is a decent substrate for more SLC, correct?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:52 AM   #13
Tileguy

Quote:
Sorry for confusing everyone....if I wasn't so confused I wouldn't be confusing you!

One more question for now--when I go back and add SLC over the SLC I already put down, do I need to do anything special? In other words, I assume SLC is a decent substrate for more SLC, correct?

Thanks!
Yes, but don't forget the primer.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:12 AM   #14

The entire underlayment is primed. I don't need to put primer between the "layers" of SLC do I ? As long as it covers the plywood that is all I need, right?

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Tileguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz
I see that you ignored some of our advise in the other thread and you didn't apply SLC on the entire room. So, now you have a 2-3 mm ridge. So now you have to apply primer and finish the job to make it flat. What is your long straight edge telling you? Sounds like the floor has a crown near the center. A 2-3 mm ridge is very bad.

You should not install tile smaller than 2" over Ditra. Sorry if you missed that in the instructions.
The primer you applied some time ago is not doing you any good now. Also, unless the SLC is fresh, you need to prime again. Double check all that with the data sheets with the products you're using. What brands again? I recall you may have switched in mid-stream.

Skip Ditra and use 1/4" concrete backer with these small tiles.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement