Thickness Of Vinyl Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,562

Thickness of vinyl flooring

I would like to install vinyl flooring on basement concrete floor.

Should I need under layment for vinyl flooring?

Why the thickness of vinyl is so much different? What is their pros and cons? The one $2.99 is almost twice thicker than the one $2.69 Some other are even thinner, cannot even hold them straight.

Any suggestions to choose right vinyl?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Thickness of vinyl flooring-2.69.jpg   Thickness of vinyl flooring-2.99.jpg   Thickness of vinyl flooring-hd.jpg  
VAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2017, 07:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 7,003

Re: Thickness of vinyl flooring

I took a look at vinyl for the first time and walked away. What I saw was that there are some moderately priced all soft vinyl planks and some heavy duty thicker planks.

IMO based on prior experience with vinyl in general is that the thin stuff requires a perfectly flat surface with no bumps or ridges or the subfloor defects will come through over time. The heavy planks would require no smoother / flatter than a regular laminate floor.

I don't think I have ever seen a slab that is smooth enough for the thinner product I saw at Lowes.

Vinyl quality is generally judged by the thickness of the 'wear layer' for traditional products.

I saw nothing priced less than $4 per square foot that I would invest my time in installing.

Follow the MFG's recommendations regarding UL; some may require it and others will discourage it.

Wait for some of the flooring guys to respond. Their opinions are worth more than mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,170

We have been removing damaged vinyl in our units and replacing with ceramic for some time now. This was because we figured out it would cost us less than replacing the vinyl.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbyt View Post
I took a look at vinyl for the first time and walked away. What I saw was that there are some moderately priced all soft vinyl planks and some heavy duty thicker planks.

IMO based on prior experience with vinyl in general is that the thin stuff requires a perfectly flat surface with no bumps or ridges or the subfloor defects will come through over time. The heavy planks would require no smoother / flatter than a regular laminate floor.

I don't think I have ever seen a slab that is smooth enough for the thinner product I saw at Lowes.

Vinyl quality is generally judged by the thickness of the 'wear layer' for traditional products.

I saw nothing priced less than $4 per square foot that I would invest my time in installing.

Follow the MFG's recommendations regarding UL; some may require it and others will discourage it.

Wait for some of the flooring guys to respond. Their opinions are worth more than mine.
Thanks for the information.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick\shift View Post
We have been removing damaged vinyl in our units and replacing with ceramic for some time now. This was because we figured out it would cost us less than replacing the vinyl.
How many years has the vinyl last? Ceramic is code...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:50 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,170

Depends on the unit. Some has lasted many years, some is quite a bit newer but they had a dog and other such variables.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:49 AM   #7
Endless Projects

Rewards Points: 1,368

I am weighing the pros and cons of vinyl myself. I think there is a great variety in quality. I live in an area where there are super high end houses multi-million dollar houses that are installing the luxury vinyl planks. They good stuff will run you $4-6/ft. They will have a lifetime or 30 year warranty and will be waterproof.

The ones I have been considering is 6.5-7 mm thick and have a wear layer of 20 mm thick. The wear layer is the most important concern in my opinion. Because my home has been a rental in the past and may be in the future I want the lowest long term maintenance with the easiest installation and I think this is it.

The only thing steering me away from the Vinyl flooring is the temperature requirement. The vinyl floors need to be kept between 65-85 degrees. During the day when the house is unoccupied I like to let the house cool down to 60 and when the home may be empty for longer maybe even colder. I don't want to install a flooring that will make me have to heat the home whether I want to or not.
Photobug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 10:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
I am weighing the pros and cons of vinyl myself. I think there is a great variety in quality. I live in an area where there are super high end houses multi-million dollar houses that are installing the luxury vinyl planks. They good stuff will run you $4-6/ft. They will have a lifetime or 30 year warranty and will be waterproof.

The ones I have been considering is 6.5-7 mm thick and have a wear layer of 20 mm thick. The wear layer is the most important concern in my opinion. Because my home has been a rental in the past and may be in the future I want the lowest long term maintenance with the easiest installation and I think this is it.

The only thing steering me away from the Vinyl flooring is the temperature requirement. The vinyl floors need to be kept between 65-85 degrees. During the day when the house is unoccupied I like to let the house cool down to 60 and when the home may be empty for longer maybe even colder. I don't want to install a flooring that will make me have to heat the home whether I want to or not.
Thanks for the information, I have never heard of temperature requirement, it will be my basement, so it is hard for me to maintain that range of temperature in basement, what other choices are you considering?

Thanks.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Endless Projects

Porcelain tile over an electric infloor heating. It's going to end up being expensive but hopefully comfortable and last past my lifetime.

If you can maintain the temp in the basement the LVT is recommended for installation over concrete or in basements.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photobug View Post
Porcelain tile over an electric infloor heating. It's going to end up being expensive but hopefully comfortable and last past my lifetime.

If you can maintain the temp in the basement the LVT is recommended for installation over concrete or in basements.

Porcelain tile is too cold for the floor.
Old 09-23-2017, 10:56 AM   #11
Endless Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAer View Post
Porcelain tile is too cold for the floor.
Would ceramic be any less cold?

If I do tile throughout the downstairs I would likely install Ditra infloor heat. I would only heat the area used often like kitchen center and living room.

https://www.schluter.com/schluter-us...T/p/DITRA_HEAT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement