Thick Concrete Over Wood Sub-floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-15-2016, 09:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 78

Thick concrete over wood sub-floor

OK, my initial plan was to install LVT over the ceramic at my front entry. The area is about 3'x4'. Decided to take everyones advice and rip up the ceramic. Most of it came up fine and I'm left with mostly thinset. Although, in one of the corners, about 1.5 to 2 inches of what looks like concrete started to come up. There was also the wire mesh to add flexibility. Under this is the wood sub-floor. It looks like the concrete was poured this thick in order to raise the entry floor to the same height as the top stair nose which goes to the lower level of my house. My question is, can I remove most of the top layer which includes all of the thinset and then fill the concrete, which was removed, back in order to provide a flat concrete sub-floor for my new flooring? Or must I remove everything down to the wood?
lexdiamond20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2016, 01:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,170

Re: Thick concrete over wood sub-floor

You can probably just fill but why don't you post a couple pictures so people can see it first.
stick\shift is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2016, 02:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 78

Tile to hardwood in split level entry

It ended up being concrete over metal lathe. Whew, that was fun tearing up. Silver lining though; there is a 3/4 plywood sub-floor underneath which ill be installing hardwood over. The area is only 24 sq ft so doing it myself since the lowest bid to install is $350. Box of Bruce Country Natural is $70 for 22 sq ft and I have some left over from the hardwood install done on the upper level. Renting a manual floor nailer from Home Depot for $35 and just hand nailing the last few rows. Total cost will be about $150-ish vs. going all out with a contractor who would have charged me upwards of $600-$700.
lexdiamond20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement