Suggestions On A Clear Protective Finish To Give An Aged Or Hand Rubbed Look - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-29-2013, 08:06 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Suggestions on a clear protective finish to give an aged or hand rubbed look

I just finished installing a new subfloor in my bedroom and now I'm going to be putting down some pine boards as my finished floor. I want the floor to have a rustic distressed aged look ( I already have the stain I'll be using) so my question is, is there a clear protective finish product that I can use that will be durable enough to hold up to abuse ( I have kids) but but still let me have that look I'm going for. I'm worried that even satin polyurethane might be to shinny, but I could be wrong. Any tips or tricks for distressing pine boards to give an aged look would also be appreciated. Thanks
will02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 10:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 17,912

If your going to use pine for flooring it will soon be dented and scratched. It's about the softest flooring you can use.
Your saying boards, I hope you do not mean just flat boards with no tonged and groves.
Any reason to not use prefinished wood?
No sanding, no odor, no dust, no having to stay off the floor for days.
7 layers of hard finish, walk on it the same day it's installed.
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 11:44 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

The main reason for not going with pre-finished wood flooring is cost. I've priced it and with the look that I'm trying to achieve, it's just way to expensive for me right now.(I'm in college). The reason I wasn't going to tongue and groove them is because of the look I was going for. I'm looking for the planked floor look with a small gap between the boards like in the old farm houses.
will02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 17,912

I understand the look your going for but your going to soon find those gaps will be full of dirt and dust, without the T & G it's going to want to squeak, cup and pine will dent with just a piece of furniture sitting on it, high heels, dirt or a small stone on the bottom of a shoe.
Big difference in the hardness of the pine in those old growth trees those old floors where made of and what's out there now.
I'm done ranting now, just trying to make you aware of things I've had to deal with for the past 40 years of dealing with this stuff.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

If price is a big issue, try to find a sawmill close to you that has the capability to run T&G flooring. You can usually pick this up at a reasonable price. You really need to use a poly of some sort. Any other finish will wear off quickly.
If you cannot find a saw mill close, PM me and I will locate one for you.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 9,318

The 'look' you want will soon turn to hate after a few splinters.....especially when they enter your foot at a shallow angle and get deeply embedded.

At a min, you want to round all the edges of the boards to reduce the chance of splinters.

While the look you want may look good....you have to wonder why it's no longer done....which means that maybe you shouldn't do it.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement