Subfloor Over Existing Concrete - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Subfloor over existing concrete

have old out building that I converted to man cave have a small moisture problem .i know there was not a vapor barrier used when concrete poured.my plans were to put a 6 mill plastic down first, or something better .then 2 by fours flat on plastic.and a 3/4 inch plywood does the plywood have to be treated or can I get away with untreated cost is a factor this room is 20 by 20 Any advice would be great is my way good or is there a better way thankyou.
Dodgeram2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6,652

Anything you are going to use for a floor on concrete, should be Pressure treated. Even if you place a Vapor Barrier down first. Once you get the 2x4's on the floor and shimmed, which I would lay them flat, vs. vertical. Place XPS foam board between the 2x4's for insulation.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Dodgeram2003 (12-10-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2015, 10:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Subfloor over concrete

I will go with pressure treated wood & foamboard do you think the 6 mill should still be used before treated wood& foam board
Dodgeram2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2015, 12:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Maybe a little thicker ply. If you want to cut down on noise. Lay some #15 felt paper on top, running opposite of the direction that you plan on laying out the sleepers.

Get a table saw for ripping stock for any shims you may need to make the floor level and true.

You will need to use Anchors to hold the 2x4's in place. The foam you can use Great Stuff along the seams where it touches the 2x4's to hold the foam in place, while you get the subfloor down.

Just remember that if there is any floor drains. You need to put in the rubber stoppers to keep water from getting under the plastic.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 06:51 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 877

Take a look at Platon 24 mil plastic material instead of plastic sheet. It is made for this purpose and sold by menards. It has dimples that allow for moisture to escape. It is used for floors and below grade walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ddsrph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ddsrph For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (12-11-2015)
Old 12-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsrph View Post
Take a look at Platon 24 mil plastic material instead of plastic sheet. It is made for this purpose and sold by menards. It has dimples that allow for moisture to escape. It is used for floors and below grade walls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You need to use something like this or you will have mold.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 03:10 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

There are many "systems" to help improve comfort in below grade floors. Do the research, but make sure you follow every step/test most importantly measuring the moisture level of the slab.

Installing plastic on the top side of the slab is about the worst thing one could do. What the heck good would that do? The moisture is already inside the living space. Where will the moisture go?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement