Subfloor Access Port? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2020, 08:27 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 28

subfloor access port?

Sorry, i wasn't sure where to put this question.

I need to run some low voltage wire behind my fireplace up to my TV from the utillity room. When my house was built I ran it all through the walls, but now I need more.

I don't want the wire to rest on the fireplace because I feel like thats a fire hazzard.

I am curious, am I able to cut out the OSB subfloor stuff from inside the fireplace area like 16"x16" so I can peak my head in there and route some flex tube, then install one of those access panel covers? I don't want to go againsed code, or do something to the flooring that will harm the house long term. the basement is not finished yet, so i have access to the area below to be able to cut...

or maybe there is a better way to do it? Just don't want the plastic flex tube to rest on the fireplace...
jjohnston7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 11:26 AM   #2
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,470

Re: subfloor access port?

Assuming with the OSB you have a self-contained gas fireplace, not an insert. The fireboxes usually require 0" clearance around them (the built-in standoffs would give them any clearance they need), so I would guess the framing of the enclosure does not have 16" clear for you to cut a hole and slide by the firebox. You may not even have more than 1" to push some Smurf tube up there (maybe at back where it tapers but how do you know, unless you have the manual specs). Also, above the top of the box the framing might not allow you to cross over to the center stud space. Hopefully you have pictures of the framing under construction to guide you, or you can just remove some drywall.

In terms of going through the floor into the wood enclosure for the fireplace, I don't believe with a self-contained firebox anything would apply other than draftstopping.
3onthetree is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 11:35 AM   #3

I do have a pic, I'll try and attach...

subfloor access port?-fp1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2020, 11:47 AM   #4
Hammered Thumb

There you go, you have it under control. Now just how much the hole size is at the tv to fish blind across the top of the firebox. Smurf tube will have a little stiffness in it so it won't be limp sagging onto your firebox anyway. Just draftstop, though I have a feeling none of the other cabling was done so.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:52 AM   #5

Thanks! so you think I'm ok making the hole so I can poke my head in there and see what I'm doing?
Old 07-31-2020, 12:00 PM   #6
Hammered Thumb

I don't really see a reason for that large a hole. It looks like the gap behind the firebox extends to the ceiling, so can't you stick the Smurf up into the enclosure and grab it through the tv termination hole? May be easier with 2 people so in the basement they can push and twist to get it to bend the direction as given by who's upstairs.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:21 PM   #7

Lol, well... yes, yes I could... lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement