Sub Floor Prep - Laminate, Carpet, Hardwood - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

Sub Floor Prep - Laminate, Carpet, Hardwood

Long time reader but I've recently purchased a home and am preparing to remodle the floor.

My layout is a little odd so I've submitted a drawing to assist. I have laminate in both the dining room and kitchen. In the hallway from the dining to living room is actual hardwood. The living room currently has carpet. Under both the hardwood and carpet is the slab subfloor.

The hardwood and carpet obviously have to come up, but I am desparately trying to avoid pulling up the laminate flooring as it's about 500+ sq ft. I was hoping I could use some self leveing between the laminate and the subfloor in both the hallway and living room to level out to the 1/8 inch thick laminate.

Just for FYI, I am using a premium underlayment (0.125 in) and will be using 4MM vinyl plank flooring throughout the 800+ sq ft of all rooms.

Is there a way to avoid ripping up the laminate?
Attached Thumbnails
Sub Floor Prep - Laminate, Carpet, Hardwood-floorplan.jpg  
localsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 11:14 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,348

What does a, "premium underlayment" mean? The information needed is the actual material being used, not a flowery description that has no meaning.
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #3

I am not sure what the underlayment material is to be honest. Would the underlayment assist in the leveling of the floor from a subfloor to 1/8 inch laminate flooring?

Last edited by localsonly; 08-28-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2015, 12:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by localsonly View Post
I am not sure what the underlayment material is to be honest. Would the underlayment assist in the leveling of the floor from a subfloor to 1/8 inch laminate flooring?
So this isn't a wood material? Is this a rolled material that you purchased with the flooring? Sort of a vapor seal?
You need a vapor seal over a concrete slab.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:36 PM   #5

It's a bellawood vapor barrier underlayment. LEED compliant. Triclosan-free antimicrobial treatment,

Weight -25oz/sqyd (2.78 oz/sqft)
Thickness - 0.11"
Density - 18.9 lbs/ft^3
R-Value - @0.125" = 0.52 hr-ft^2-degF/Btu (4.19/inch)

Do you suggest any particular brands?

What about the leveling between the two heights? I've read that it should be no more than 1/8 in drop off every 6 ft? What's the best way to ensure it's level across the uneven surfaces?
Old 08-28-2015, 12:46 PM   #6

You can put in a transitional threshold and leave the two different heights.
You can use a leveling compound to raise the lower section.
Old 08-28-2015, 12:58 PM   #7

Thanks for your help Ron.

Follow up to your second option: leveling compound to raise the lower section.

This may sound like a dumb question but would this have to be done throughout the entire floor, or could it done at the transition area to essentially bridge the two uneven levels?

I know the risk of this is a slope...but with it only being 1/8 of an inch, would this cause substantial issues later on?
Old 08-28-2015, 01:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by localsonly View Post
This may sound like a dumb question but would this have to be done throughout the entire floor, or could it done at the transition area to essentially bridge the two uneven levels?

I know the risk of this is a slope...but with it only being 1/8 of an inch, would this cause substantial issues later on?
You could use something to make a transition over say 4 or 5 feet or so to make the change very gradual. The self leveling stuff is the consistency of pancake batter. You mix and pour. If you're careful you could use this. You just need to set up a boundary for the compound. Pour it near the transition and trowel it out to a feather at the other end.
Look at videos on You Tube about this, then decide if your skill set is up to the task.
It sets up in about 20-30 minutes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement