Staircase Step Refinishing - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2015, 11:29 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 14
Question

staircase step refinishing

The horizontal step surfaces on my staircase are worn. The staircase is old and somewhat large. The vertical and decorative surfaces are in good shape and have a patina (home is 90 years old) on them. If I sand and polyurethane only the horizontal step surfaces it will stick out like a sore thumb. If I decide to refinish the entire staircase, I should be done about the time Haley's comet is ready to return.

My question: Is there some way to refinish just the horizontal step surfaces and have it look like the rest of the wood?
danfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

Short answer is no without hiring a pro or having a lot of experience doing this.Pro does not always guarantee a lot of experience in finishing these kind of projects.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,012

Lot's of people make their stairs 2 tone. They mostly stain the treads, and paint the risers.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stai...w&ved=0CC8QsAQ
ron45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

You can see the surrounding staircase is a natural dark brown the stairs. The stairs are more of an auburn. Not sure if these are original colors or what time has done.
Attached Thumbnails
staircase step refinishing-img_2646.jpg   staircase step refinishing-img_2647.jpg   staircase step refinishing-img_2648.jpg   staircase step refinishing-img_2649.jpg  
danfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 610

Of all the stairs I have built there have been very few who stained everything. Most times the skirt, risers and balusters were painted. The tread, rail, newel post, landing tread, and scotia mold were stained, also the shoe and fillers if there was one. Maybe it is just this area who prefer stairs this way, but that is the way it was.

With everything stained it is too over powering IMHO.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:00 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,644

You would need to be a refinishing expert to make the treads and risers look alike and that person may say nearly impossible. The main reason being is those stairs have quarter sawed wood, plain sawed wood and probably some rift sawed thrown into the mix.

If it were my house I would leave those old stairs alone with possibly the exception of using some 0000 steel wool and a product something like Murphy Oil Soap to lightly clean them.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 144

Have to agree with the Senior here.Same wood different cuts.they will never look the same no matter how you finish them.Darker would be easier to hide the difference in grain but I never liked a dark staircase.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hardwood , oak , refinish , stain