Staining New Concrete Slab - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-31-2011, 08:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Staining New Concrete Slab

We are in process of building a new home. The builder is supposed to stain the concrete floors. Yesterday during cleaning we noticed an electrical conduit showing through the slab in the living area. I called the builder this morning and she said she would check it out. She called back late today and said that she has never had this happen and she consulted with various people today. She said they can bury the conduit and fill in the area. The concrete stain guy said he could stain it so it would never be noticeable. My husband is thinking it will be noticeable and there is no way they can make this area look consistent with the rest of the floors. The area of conduit which is exposed is approximately 4 inches where the conduit is exposed. The builder said we can try it and see if it will work. We are thinking wood floors may be our only option. We are willing to give her a chance to fix this, but we are not sure this will blend in to look right. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas on this? By the way, the builder is wondering if this happened during the post-tension work on the foundation and we just noticed it after cleaning the debris off the floors. Thanks!
CheriSwanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 08:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,104

Is this in the slab/floor on dirt grade?
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #3

Code, yes the slab is on dirt, a post-tension foundation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,104

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriSwanson View Post
Code, yes the slab is on dirt, a post-tension foundation
What likely happened was the either the electrician did not anchors the conduit well or the concrete guys knocked the anchors loose. The conduit floated up during the pour.

I personally trench my conduits 4 to 6 inches below the dirt line, so something like this is avoided. It also helps if the slab has to be cut into for some reason. The saw will miss my conduits.
Code05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:28 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

If you are acid staining you will never hide the conduit. If you allow her to patch it it will look even worse. I can think of one way to fix it.

There are Self Leveling Compounds available for pouring over a surface and then acid staining that surface. I would have the contractor re-pour a thin layer of Self Leveller and I would also allow her to pay for it.

That would be the only real-fix.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

staining new concrete floor

First thing is it elect. or post tenson cable?A micro finish will be the only way to solve the COSTLY mistake,about 2 to 3 dollars sq. ft.bad bad cable.Have them fix the area,saw cut,dowel,patch,stain the patch go over the saw cut area.Now what do you see?Thats right a saw cut just where you dont want it to be.If its conduit,how much is exposed?I'ts not an easy fix when you want to stain your floors.

We all no alot but can only do a little----an.
kchunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:35 AM   #7

From the replies I am reading, their "patch" will not look good. I mentioned to the builder last night that if wood floors were being laid it would be ok. She said, "yes, I told my guys that this would happen on floors that are to be stained". If they repair this area and the concrete stain guy stains and we don't like, we think she should absorb the cost of wood floors. Don't get me wrong, our builder has been very easygoing so far and we feel she wants to do the right thing, but we are not going to accept a bad floor area in the living room in a brand new home. To answer someone's question, it is the electrical conduit showing that is between the kitchen island and a floor outlet in the living area.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #8
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
We all know a-lot but can only do a little----and.
I don't understand this thing above, what the heck is it supposed to mean?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:02 AM   #9
Concrete & Masonry

Rewards Points: 464

I agree with the rest that a floor patch is going to stand out like a sour thumb. Is there any chance that the stainer can turn the area into a decorative accent, even if they have to make the area bigger?
jomama45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:04 AM   #10

Decorative accent may be an option. I would have to look at some online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement