Sighhh... Slab Moisture - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-08-2014, 04:50 PM   #1
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 616

Sighhh... slab moisture

Okay now that I have the glue up on one room I have been watching it for a week and I am thinking I may now have a moisture issue. I have been slopping the water around in the glue removal and am not sure if this moisture is because of this or if I really have an issue. I do not want to keep scraping if this is all for nothing.

I do not know if there is a vapor barrier under the slab. The slab was poured in 1991.

I am going to do the plastic tape test but how long should I give the floor to dry from all the water I used in scraping the glue? Should I run a dehumidifier for a few days first?

Of note it has been humid as heck here and we do not have any ac running.

Thanks
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 612

Put as many fans as you have, blowing on the floor, it will dry that much faster.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 06:10 PM   #3
Renovating My Land Yacht

Jim got that happening. I am going to test both in the newly scraped area and another area in the house that had no glue on it. Just not sure how long to wait before testing the scraped area so as not to get a false positive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-08-2014, 06:56 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by forcedreno2012 View Post
Jim got that happening. I am going to test both in the newly scraped area and another area in the house that had no glue on it. Just not sure how long to wait before testing the scraped area so as not to get a false positive.
I wish I could help you there but I really don't know either, I would give it plenty of time though. Maybe there is another area you can work on while it dries.

Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #5
Renovating My Land Yacht

Jim,

We had a lot of rain this week and its been really humid so I am stopping scraping anywhere until I can get the moisture test done. I think I will do it in a non scraped room now and If that comes up as negative then I can keep going. I really don't want to spend all this time scraping to find out I have a moisture issue and cant lay tile down. Hubby thinks its just condensation moisture and I am in "Nervous Nelly" mode but I want to make sure before I go any further. It just really looks "wet" today even though I cant feel anything. Hope that makes sense.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
Ole Wood Worker

Maybe one of the good floor fellows will pop in and help on this.

Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 09:43 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 996

is moisture really going to hurt a tiled floor ?
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:26 PM   #8
Ole Wood Worker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
is moisture really going to hurt a tiled floor ?
Are you talking about ceramic tile floor? If so, no, bathrooms have ceramic and so do showers.

Jim
Old 09-08-2014, 11:34 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 996

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
Are you talking about ceramic tile floor? If so, no, bathrooms have ceramic and so do showers.
i am assuming that is what the OP is talking about.

and that is what i thought. but idk if putting tile on a damp floor could cause issues. i do know that after the tile is down, water won't effect it. perhaps even to the point that if dampness is coming from below, the tile may help seal it.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:37 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
There ya go...finally a pertinent question.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #11
Renovating My Land Yacht

I know from the top its okay.

I am talking coming from the slab. I moved some buckets today in another room that has just the concrete and its wet under there and that started the concern.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #12
Renovating My Land Yacht

To clarify.

The floor looked "wet" today. I know where I have been scraping glue off I have been slinging water so I would expect that to still be drying.

Late this afternoon afternoon I started moving some stuff out of a bathroom that we are getting ready to start and I moved a few buckets of mud and the floor was wet underneath. Everything I have read tonight leads me to believe that this will be an issue in the future if not dealt with.

Its just really wet and humid here right now but I don't know if its just humidity or if its water coming through the slab.

I do not want to keep killing myself scraping this floor if I have a massive moisture issue and cannot lay tile. I wanted to do the tape test in a couple of areas and was wondering how long that the area I have been working on had to dry before doing it there.

Sorry if I confused anyone.

Edit to add - this is going to be over 1000sft of tile

Last edited by forcedreno2012; 09-09-2014 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 03:33 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 3,716

I'm see we have another plastic tape test person that's been misled by the " concrete wicks water like a sponge folks " when the testing should be the temperature of the concrete surface vs dew point temperature.

Being the space is unconditioned, the dew point temperature and relative humidity will be close to what the weather girl reports.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 04:21 AM   #14
Renovating My Land Yacht

Fairview,

Not sure how to respond to your statement but here goes. You may not be aware of the back story but 2 years ago we had 4 feet of water in the house. Half of the house was carpet and half was glued down wood floor. The carpet part of the house is now nekkid concrete and has been since the storm. The glue part is what I am working on now. Where there is glue there is about 80 percent coverage. The wood floor popped off in the flood and basically we raked up the floor. We don't know what type of glue they used but its not regular glue and its waterproof in the areas where there is full coverage. It is also a royal pain to remove. In removing the glue I am now concerned that there is either A- water still trapped in the slab or B-water coming from below or C-its just humid. Ideally I would like C.

In removing the glue I have been using boiling water to assist so I know that area is wet because of it but the bucket wet spot for want of a better word is in the back part of the house that has been "dry" for a long time. My understanding was to do the tape test to ascertain if the water was from below or above and then take it from there. Is this not correct? It seemed to be the first step based on what I have read on many different sites? I am open to suggestions but would like to understand why you think the tape is not the correct approach. How does one test the temperature of concrete? I do know we have been in the 65 percent humidity range on and off for a few weeks.

Thanks

Robyn
Old 09-09-2014, 11:07 AM   #15

Rewards Points: 3,716

http://www.wunderground.com/weather-.../Gulfport.html

I randomly chose a link to a city on the gulf coast to see what the conditions were this A.M. @ 9:31 o'clock. With the air temperature and dew point temperature being 79.8F and 79F respectfully at 5 ft. elevation, it wouldn't be much of a surprise if your floor as well as all the concrete surfaces in the area were wet on the surface with condensation.

This does not mean the moisture came from the dirt under the concrete but was caused by ambient conditions at the surface. If we check the concrete later today the surface may very well be dry because of atmospheric conditions constantly changing.

If you were to bust a 4" thick slab side walk out this morning with the surface being wet, for all practical purposes, you would find dry concrete inside below the wet surface. If the moisture was determined by wicking from the dirt it would be wet throughout the thickness.

So continuing the tape and plastic test, let's say you taped the plastic down, or set your plastic bucket down, on a concrete surface that appeared to be dry. Later, possibly the next morning is a good example, you look and under the plastic or bucket or throw rug with a rubber back, and it is soggy wet. Did the moisture come through the concrete in the night from the dirt. No, but the concrete surface cooled to the dew point temperature which caused condensation. Now just think how many sq. ft. of plastic has been put down, in vein, pre concrete pour because of the plastic test ignorance.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-09-2014 at 11:31 AM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (09-09-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement