Should I Resurface Or Is There Any Other Options - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By Yodaman
  • 1 Post By F250
  • 1 Post By SPS-1
  • 1 Post By F250
  • 2 Post By mark sr
  • 2 Post By Dave Sal

Old 10-28-2018, 06:04 PM   #1
Sir Diddely Squat

Rewards Points: 152

Should I resurface or is there any other options

Even since I bought my house last year and discovered there was hardwood floors underneath the carpet it has been driving me bananas not to rip out the carpet. The only thing holding me back is a few spots i have seen when I have pulled corners of the carpet. So I don't know if it something that elbow grease can save or something that I should save up the money and get resurfaced. Your thoughts ?
Attached Thumbnails
Should I resurface or is there any other options-img_20180329_194041_1540767632122.jpg   Should I resurface or is there any other options-img_20180329_194055_1540767656299.jpg   Should I resurface or is there any other options-img_20180329_180521_1540767681172.jpg   Should I resurface or is there any other options-received_260957871225748_1540767718578.jpeg  
Theswed82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 06:21 PM   #2
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,534

Re: Should I resurface or is there any other options

Needs to be refinished. Renting the equipment might be a option. How many rooms? Square footage? Stairs?
Dave Sal likes this.
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 06:34 PM   #3
Sir Diddely Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaman View Post
Needs to be refinished. Renting the equipment might be a option. How many rooms? Square footage? Stairs?
Two rooms (Dining room and Living Room) and a small hallway. The Square footage for it all would be 310. No stairs. I thought about renting the equipment just not keen on looking forward to polying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Property Mgt/Maint

Rewards Points: 6,534

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theswed82 View Post
Two rooms (Dining room and Living Room) and a small hallway. The Square footage for it all would be 310. No stairs. I thought about renting the equipment just not keen on looking forward to polying.

Not fun while you are living in the house, but do-able. There are water based urethane coatings to keep fumes to a minimum. Minwax has your basic DYI products. Bonafide has a pro line for a higher quality finish.
Theswed82 (10-28-2018)
Old 10-29-2018, 05:16 PM   #5
Still learning every day!

Rewards Points: 800

Do not use Minwax on your floor... Bona is much much much better.

Also, here is my advice (having done this myself in a previous home)... if you're going to DIY the entire refinishing process, first buy yourself a 6-pack or two of beer and get really drunk... then do the sanding... at least you won't remember why you have bruises all over you from being thrown around by the disc floor sanding machine! The BEST approach, though, is to pay a professional to do it for you and just live in a hotel room for several days.

Context... I RARELY EVER recommend paying someone to do something you can do yourself, but this is one of them. I do plumbing, gas lines, electrical, structural framing, finishing/trim work, cabinetry, spray finishing, brush/roller painting, hardwood floor INSTALLATION, tiling, sheet rock, door & window replacements, concrete sidewalks, loose stone work, landscaping & sod work, etc.... but I will NOT do either floor refinishing or roof work or masonry work... I've long since outgrown my pride in these three areas!
Dave Sal likes this.

Bark less, wag MORE, and Show Compassion to everyone you meet!
F250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 7,556

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250 View Post
The BEST approach, though, is to pay a professional to do it for you...
If you do it because you want to be able to say you did it yourself, then I can't blame OP for going for it. But if you think you are going to do it as good as a pro, fogetaboutit.
Dave Sal likes this.
SPS-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:56 AM   #7

I understand what you're saying, SPS-1, and have done many things for that very reason. However, in my mind, the bragging rights are simply not worth the pain and frustration. Again, there is very little I'll pay someone else to do, but this is one of them. The tee shirt just is not worth it (to me). Then again, the OP certainly gets to make his own choices on this, for sure.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:21 AM   #8
Sir Diddely Squat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPS-1 View Post
If you do it because you want to be able to say you did it yourself, then I can't blame OP for going for it. But if you think you are going to do it as good as a pro, fogetaboutit.
It isn't so much that I can say that I did it, it is I am stubborn and trying to save money. The cost to lay new carpet is cheaper than to refinish it and it would be shame to cover up hardwood floors. It is just a lesson in accepting you can't do everything yourself or have it how you would like.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:49 PM   #9

You live on the same street I live on!! From my own experience, I suggest that if you like the hardwood, you'll never ever be satisfied with carpet... especially knowing what is being covered by it. Invest the extra cash into getting the floor done properly so you can really appreciate the wood EVERY day, and it will also be an asset when selling... and it's easier to keep clean.
Theswed82 likes this.

Old 10-30-2018, 03:21 PM   #10
retired painter

Rewards Points: 1,790

..... and if you can't afford to hire out the entire job, have a pro come in and do the sanding, once that is done the rest is easy. You still have to sand between coats of poly but that is nothing like sanding it down to bare level wood.
Dave Sal and Theswed82 like this.
mark sr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:29 PM   #11
Sir Diddely Squat

I have contacted a couple local hardwood floor refinishers to see what they say. I figured on doing the living room and small hallway and that would leave the dining room to store stuff while it is being refinished. The living room and small hallway is only about 166 Sq Ft so pretty small. A 4x3 hallway and 13x11 living room.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:36 PM   #12

We just had the last 350 sq ft of hardwood refinished in our home last summer. Out of the house for two days. Total cost for everything was about $950 (including sanding, staining, top coating, and new quarter round, but that does not include two hotel nights and a little eating out expense).

Old 10-31-2018, 01:14 PM   #13
Sir Diddely Squat

I recieved on estimate of "high end" $1,100 to do the 166 Sq Ft sand and bona with a patch on a bad spot in the dining room where they used floor leveler. There is other bad spots in the dining but that is the worse and that doesn't include the refinishing the dining which is roughly 144 Sq Ft. But I don't know if it is really that bad under the leveler I pick away a little and it looked good and they could of done that because of another issue we have with the floor joists and they wanted to get rid of a low spot but who knows. That is why we call our house "The House Of Wonders" because the stuff sometimes just makes you wonder.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I resurface or is there any other options-img_20171109_112518.jpg   Should I resurface or is there any other options-img_20171109_112535.jpg  
Old 11-01-2018, 12:35 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,176

I've installed and sanded new wood floors a few times over the years. From the cost of renting the equipment, lugging it home, and mastering the learning curve the first time, I would never consider doing that again.

In my younger days when I did this (in my 20's), my arms, neck, and shoulders were sore for a week. The job I did also wasn't as good as I had hoped for. A professional could have come in, done the job twice as good in half the time for a little over what I paid for the rental equipment and my time and effort.
SPS-1 and Theswed82 like this.

Last edited by Dave Sal; 11-01-2018 at 12:56 PM.
Dave Sal is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement