Shifting Laminate On Concrete - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-17-2019, 01:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 64

Shifting laminate on concrete

I'm installing a new laminate floor in a dining room, living room and hallway area. I've done laminate twice before, both on wood subfloors. This house has a concrete slab. With the flooring jobs done before, over time, the laminate shifts to the point that some joints come apart, not much, maybe 1/8" to 1/4" in a few spots. So, naturally, want to prevent that from happening on this installation.

Looking for any pointers in how to prevent that from happening and what I could do during installation to help. I was thinking of using carpet glue on the edges to make sure it stays. I used carpet glue to glue down the carpet pad in the 3 bedrooms, and the glue stays pretty good.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks.
mramj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 05:22 PM   #2
Naildriver

Rewards Points: 4,222

Re: Shifting laminate on concrete

The only thing I can constructively think of is to upgrade from laminate with poor joints to engineered click lock flooring. What laminate are you currently installing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2019, 07:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,042

Why carpet glue , use this and make your floor a lot more water repellent than it would be otherwise.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Titebond...5064/100133256
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2019, 05:51 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,598

2x canarywood idea although I've used glues sold for laminates. I think it was thinner so easier to apply in very thin bead and easier to clean up. This was earlier in laminates when the install instruction said to use the glue. After, though, with click lock floating laminates, I've had no separations. I'm wondering if you're getting positive locks? I always tap the edges together looking at the edges. This was after I found that my tappings were crushing the ends.
Also, I used pergo brand. I've heard stories about lumber liquidators. So wondering if it is the quality?
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Hammered Thumb

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by mramj4 View Post
I was thinking of using carpet glue on the edges to make sure it stays. I used carpet glue to glue down the carpet pad in the 3 bedrooms, and the glue stays pretty good.
The glue you speak of is for the joints as others commented, or are you talking a pressure-sensitive carpet glue under the perimeter boards? Just clarifying.

I'm with Carp on this one. I've never seen laminate come apart unless it had some water spillage that swelled the joint. If it's installed tight (block hammered together even if new "click lock") with appropriate gaps at the ends, proper underlayment to minimize moisture, level substrate, it shouldn't come apart.

You'll find laying laminate on concrete is as good a combo as PB&J. It is a much more stable substrate, just make sure it's level.
3onthetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 578

Normally a decoupling membrane is used on the concrete and it can even be something like Fracture Guard 7000 from Merkrete. The Fracture Guard rolls on like a very thick paint and is designed to isolate movement of the concrete from the tile on top. Merkrete has a tech support 800 number to answer any questions and determine if it will fix your problem.
Calson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
laminate floor