Self Leveling Concrete Pulled Up Vinyl Asbestos Tile Below It - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-14-2020, 03:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2

Self leveling concrete pulled up vinyl asbestos tile below it

(Basement below grade) This did not happen in the other room because the tile I guess was better adhered to the concrete floor.. but in the other room it cracked and pulled up the tile below it you can tell because when you walk on it it has a little bit of a bounce and a clicking. Removing it is not an option, it would cost way too much not to mention the asbestos remediation. I thought of drilling some holes with the shaving cream trick and putting tapcons to "sandwhich" the layers tighter together.. but I'm not sure. I am looking for ideas. I thought of putting an OSB subfloor over top of an underlayment (DMX) but that would make a 1-in transition difference between rooms.. unless there is a tasteful way to make a transition, I don't know if that would work. Does anyone have any ideas here to save me? The plan was to put luxury vinyl planks down as a finish floor
Anomaly0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2020, 11:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,308

Re: Self leveling concrete pulled up vinyl asbestos tile below it

Asbestos, even if in the tile or glue (most likely glue), will not be a problem for you. Just don't grind/sand them, releasing the fibers.

There is no good answer. Loose tiles can not be located and there is no answer that removing a small area will give you a permanent solution. If one tile was loose, probably all surrounding tiles. You can try grind/cut off 12x12" section of the leveler, razor/chisel out the tile and level over, but all tiles will be loose. Are you using floating floor? Then maybe best if you ignore it and floor over.
carpdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 04:55 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2

This looks like it would work

https://concretemender.com/products/...nation-repair/

In theory that would work its way down below the tile to fill the void between all of it.

Thoughts?
Anomaly0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 774

Quote:
This looks like it would work

https://concretemender.com/products/...nation-repair/

Drilling through asbestos tile is exactly what you want to avoid, because it will put the asbestos fibers into the air.

You might check your local regulations on removing and disposing of asbestos tile. Where I live, home owners can remove asbestos themselves, virtually free of regulations, and disposal consists of sealing it in bags, labeling them, and dumping them at the local landfill.

That does not mean it is not dangerous. If you remove anything with asbestos yourself, be sure to avoid having any of it get airborne.
HotRodx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:30 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,386

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRodx10 View Post
Drilling through asbestos tile is exactly what you want to avoid, because it will put the asbestos fibers into the air.

You might check your local regulations on removing and disposing of asbestos tile. Where I live, home owners can remove asbestos themselves, virtually free of regulations, and disposal consists of sealing it in bags, labeling them, and dumping them at the local landfill.

That does not mean it is not dangerous. If you remove anything with asbestos yourself, be sure to avoid having any of it get airborne.

Same in NY.
Old Thomas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 774

Quote:

Quote:
Same in NY.

Surprising.
HotRodx10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement