Seamless Tile-hardwood Transition - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-10-2015, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

seamless tile-hardwood transition

nube here. ;D

so, I have 11 7/8 TJI joists beneath 5/8 plywood subfloor.

I have 18mm cherry hardwood, and I have 3/8 porcelain tile. The hardwood is only in the 2 other bedrooms and living room. The tile is everywhere else, and directly borders the hardwood at the 2 bedrooms' door entrances and in the living room for 16 feet.

I would also like to build a curbless shower in the master ensuite. The master bedroom, ensuite, kitchen, dining and hall are all to be tiled.

I need to know 2 things:
1) How can I ensure a seamless transition between the tile and hardwood?
2) How can I install a curbless shower?
wwsteeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Hi,

Tiles are measured in mm, so if you think it's about ⅜", we'll call it 10 mm. Add 2-3 for thinset, and that's about the installed thickness + or minus. If you go with " tile backer, you're talking min. 5/16" installed, that's another 8 mm. Total 20-21 mm. That's about ⅛" higher than the wood but pretty close and a few layers of tarpaper would bring the wood closer.

But you can't just butt hardwood to tiles, you need an edging for the tiles and a "T" molding to cover the expansion joints for the wood. The T molding will cover both sides of the transition and will stick up - ⅜".

Alternatively you can substitute Ditra matting for the concrete tile backer. Regular Ditra is ⅛" (3mm) installed, while Ditra XL is 5/16" installed.

However, before you get too far ahead we should see if your subfloor set up is stiff enough for tiles. If installed as specified by the manufacturer, your TJI joists should meet the min. L360 deflection specs for min. building code and tile installation.

On the other hand your ⅝" subfloor is pretty wimpy and at best is marginal if the joists are 16" oc. If they're set at 19.2" you're gonna have to add more underlayment for sure. Let us know what the on center spacing is and also how far the joists span. Measure the length from face to face of the supports.

#2. Normally we'd rip the subfloor and also cut down the joists in order to gain the height to make it all flat with the adjoining room. But, you can not cut your TJI joists. So, to make a curbless shower you'd have to raise the entire floor and create a curb at the doorway to the bathroom. Go to www.schluter.com and search for curbless showers.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 12:17 AM   #3

the joists are 16"' oc.

a quick google search for 'seamless transition tile hardwood' shows many examples of what I am trying to achieve.

There is not any visible molding or protrusion of a seam. The tile and hardwood meet at the exact same elevation and looks great with no molding.

I checked the website for schluter, and am still confused as to how I can achieve both a seamless transition between materials, AND get a curbless shower installed.

Any other suggestions? There must be someone that has done this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Tileguy

The way you can finish a transition is dependent on the particular brand of wood you're using and the types of moulding they make for it. If yours is a nail down, the wood to molding transition is perfectly flush, but you need an expansion gap between the molding and the tiles.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 07-12-2015, 06:49 PM   #5

ok JazMan....knowing what you know of my setup and desires,,, how exactly would you go about to accomplish it? Be REALLY detailed ....please
(sorry,I'm just a silly drywaller!)
Old 07-12-2015, 09:54 PM   #6
Tileguy

What does the directions sheet of your hardwood flooring say about expansion where the floor ends to a solid floor covering in the other room? Surely they tell you to leave a gap. That's why they make the "T" molding. Let me know which wood you're installing.

The tiles should end with a Schluter Schiene kinda like in this pic or similar. http://www.schluter.com/p/content/ss...290x191_80.jpg

You can use a "T" molding to match your wood, otherwise wing it and just caulk the " gap, but Mrs Steeel is bound to not like it, maybe. Find the moldings section for the brand you're buying and you'l find the T molding to understand how to install it. It should work even if both side are not precisely at the same level.

Jaz

Old 07-15-2015, 01:37 AM   #7

thankyou JazMan,

Yes, your picture of the schluter seam is EXACTLY what I am trying to achieve.

But, that seam in the pic is not a T mold. Is it? What is the name of that type. just schluter schiene?

So, what type of additional subfloor ( 3/8 plywood?) should I apply and where?
Under the tile only? Surely I need to put something under the 18mm hardwood to match the tile?

Still not sure about what to do prep to do prior to tile/hardwood install.

Closing in on the transition issue! lol

With all that in mind, how would you ensure a curbless walkin shower?
Old 07-15-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Tileguy

Quote:
But, that seam in the pic is not a T mold. Is it? What is the name of that type. just schluter schiene?
It's usually referred to as tile edging or more specifically "L" molding.

The "T" molding comes with your wood. I thought you wooda have gopgled a pic by now.

Decide how much more ply you're gonna add, (I'd like to see you add min. ", install the tiles, then decide what you need to do for the wood side.

Go ahead and ask questions.

Jaz

Sponsored Links
Advertisement