Sanding Hardwood Floors - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-04-2013, 02:45 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Sanding hardwood floors

I'll be sanding and refinishing hardwood floors in a rental house soon and need a recomendation on the type of sander to rent. I've never refinished wood floors before and the guy at the rental store recommended the large 12" X 18" orbital sander or the sander with the three round 8" sanding discs. Less chance of damaging the floors than with a drum sander. Opinions?
Jim Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

My personal option and I know your not going to take it is hire it out to a real floor finisher.
It will be faster, come out better and in the end cost about the same.
By the time to go rent the equipment, buy all the sanding pads, sealer, applicator's get through the learning curve they would be 1/2 done with the job.
Dave Sal (09-06-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2013, 06:02 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

The Clark E-Z sander does a good job but, only after the floor is sanded flat with a drum sander. (keep the sander moving) It is good at taking out most of the sander marks all the way to the wall. I would go with both if I were you. It is best to read all you can on refinishing a floor before beginning this project. Here is one link to get you started;

http://www.finishingwoodfloors.com/f...es/manual.html

I LOVE THE SMELL OF SAWDUST IN THE MORNING!
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Woodman, thanks for the link. There's some good info in there. I still think I'll try this myself, I have the time and it has to be less expensive than hiring a contractor. When I did the floors in my house I got it done at cost by a contractor that I use alot on my commercial jobs and it still cost about $1500. I'm thinking it will be closer to 1/2 of that if I do it myself.
Jim Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 370

I sanded my first hardwood floor (maple) after I installed it in my new home back in about 1982. I was 27 years old and in pretty good shape. Took me two days to finish, and I was sore for a week. Just thinking about that makes my shoulders ache. Mine came out ok, but after I visited a buddies house who had his floors done by a pro I wished I had gone that route myself. His came out just about perfect, in less than half the time. If you decide to tackle this yourself, make sure you have a full bottle of Tylenol handy. One good thing that came out of my floor project was that I quit smoking during the installation process as I ran out of cigarettes and didn't want to stop as I was on a roll. I finished up for the day and went to sleep, then woke up and got right back to it. Before I knew it two days had gone by without a cigarette so I figured I might as well keep going. That was one of the best decisions I ever made. If anyone still smokes, quit that stinking habit!
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement