Replacing Kitchen Carpet With Linoleum Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2015, 10:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Replacing kitchen Carpet with Linoleum Flooring

Yes that was not a typo - The flooring in my kitchen when we bought the house was carpet. I have no idea why anyone would do such a thing but they did.

So now I have ripped it up and am preparing the sub-floor for the linoleum. I want to paint it with "Bin" because the previous owners had a pet that stunk it up and now our dogs have marked their territory too. So when I asked my local flooring installer if I could paint it and it not be an issue he told me that would be fine. I just have to make sure the sub-floor is really smooth.

My question for you guys is how smooth does it actually need to be? My sub-floor is in very good shape. Its flat. No peaks and valleys. The only issue is that the dried glue from the carpet installation is kind of rough and bumpy when you rub your hand across it. Its probably only put down 1/16 of an inch at most. I started to run a belt sander over it but after 30 sec of that it was really gummed up. Should i buy a bunch of heavy grit belts and go to town or will this small of a amount of dry glue not even affect the linoleum?
Conde54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 144

The glue will telegraph thru your new floor/It needs to be cleaned up/
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 10:28 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,382

Sheet flooring will show any flaws below the flooring.
If all you have is subflooring then you need to add a layer underlayment.
1/4 multi ply subfloor rated plywood not Louon!
Fastest easiest way is with a pneumatic narrow crown staple gun.
Then all the flaws and seam gaps need need to be filled.
Underlay in installed with no glue, never nailed to the floor joist, and stapled every 4" on the edges and from 6 to 8" in the field.
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2015, 12:41 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 398

If you have a wood subfloor, follow what Joe said.
Kitchen carpet was the style in the 70s and 80s. Decorators thought it looked good. I installed thousands of yards of it. I have since taken up a lot of it as the styles changed.
Decorators are now putting laminate in kitchens. In a few years they will be removing it when they realize it was just as bad an idea as the carpet.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 12:46 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

B-I-NŽ Shellac-Base Primer is the old standard and a very good product. But consider using B-I-NŽ Advanced Synthetic Shellac Sealer Clear cuz it brags to do this; Seals pet urine among other things. http://www.rustoleum.com/en/product-...c-sealer-clear

You can do the basic prep, but you should let the installer install the proper underlayment too.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement