Replacing Carpet In Upstairs Hall - How To Transition To Stair Nose - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Replacing carpet in upstairs hall - How to transition to stair nose

I am repalcing carpet on the stairs and changing from carpet to 3/4" T&G hardwood flooring for the upstairs hallway. The old set up was carpet that wrapped around the top stair nose.

When I removed the old carpet, I find the top stair nose is flush with the sub floor upstairs. Any ideas on how I can install a 3/4" floor with out changin the rise so drastically?
jgbanham is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 592

Is the rise different on the top riser with the carpet than the rest of the steps? If it is the same rise about the only thing you can do is remove the nosing there now and install a landing tread and butt the flooring to it. Chances are, there will be close to 1/4 inch difference between the carpet and pad and the flooring.

There is not much you can do about the 1/4" difference other than remove the treads and shim them which is a pain.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 08:18 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, The Rise is the same on all steps (8") and unfortunately, the same on the top step. The carpet is above the 8" rise so anything I add will raise the top step by its height. I would need to add another nose on top of the existing to have it all line up. I am not willing to raise each tread for this project. Would rather leave the hallway carpet than go through all that work.

I think my only options are installing laminate (which I hate) or spilling the carpet runner onto a landing area at the top of the stairs and then transitioning to the hardwood a few feet from the top step to avoid a trip hazard. Not sure how this would look or if the "Boss" would approave. Unless I can find another route which is why I have posted.

I have not removed all the old carpet and am thinking, from what I can see, that the sub floor I am seeing may be a second layer of plywood. If I were able to remove this layer, it would all line up. But at this time, I am not sure if this is truly the case. Is it common to have 2 layers of sub floor? This house is a 17 year old center hall colonial in NJ.

PS: I am new to this site and have not received my code to allow full access. I will update to include location once I get full access priveledges.

Thanks again for your response.
Jim B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbanham View Post
Thanks Jim, The Rise is the same on all steps (8") and unfortunately, the same on the top step. The carpet is above the 8" rise so anything I add will raise the top step by its height. I would need to add another nose on top of the existing to have it all line up. I am not willing to raise each tread for this project. Would rather leave the hallway carpet than go through all that work.

I think my only options are installing laminate (which I hate) or spilling the carpet runner onto a landing area at the top of the stairs and then transitioning to the hardwood a few feet from the top step to avoid a trip hazard. Not sure how this would look or if the "Boss" would approave. Unless I can find another route which is why I have posted.

I have not removed all the old carpet and am thinking, from what I can see, that the sub floor I am seeing may be a second layer of plywood. If I were able to remove this layer, it would all line up. But at this time, I am not sure if this is truly the case. Is it common to have 2 layers of sub floor? This house is a 17 year old center hall colonial in NJ.

PS: I am new to this site and have not received my code to allow full access. I will update to include location once I get full access priveledges.

Thanks again for your response.
Jim B.
How thick is your carpet and pad? How much difference in thickness would there be between the carpet and the new flooring? Are you planning to remove the carpet and pad from just the top landing or all the stairs and landing?

It is common the have a sub floor and an underlayment so that may be one way to go. You sure don't want to add anymore to the 8" rise, that is right on the edge of code here.

Another option would be engineered flooring, it is about the same thickness or close as laminate flooring.

Lawyers believe a man is innocent until proven broke.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/forum.php

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #5

The carpet is standard. With padding, I would say no more than 1/2". We are replacing the carpet runner with new so I am not sure how thick the new stuff will be but I know it would not be 3/4". I think Engineered is about 3/8" and would be an option. I will consider this as a 3rd choice.

Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to jgbanham For This Useful Post:
BigJim (11-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement