Replace Engineered Hardwood Floor By Vinyl Tiles - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-30-2014, 01:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,184

Replace engineered hardwood floor by vinyl tiles

Hello,

My foyer, hallway, kitchen and ½ bathroom is with engineered hardwood floor (stapled)
I’m almost sure it was installed over the previous vinyl flooring, installed itself over a luan underlayment. The subfloor is OSB (not sure if it’s 3/4” though…)
I’m not a great fan of hardwood floor in a foyer nor in a kitchen. So I was thinking about removing the current flooring to install the TrafficMaster Ceramica vinyl tiles from Home Depot, and grout

I believe the best way would be to remove the current engineered hardwood, the old vinyl flooring and the underlayment (luan)
Then re-install a new underlayment and vinyl tiles

If I put a new layer of sanded plywood, which minimum thickness is considered a real floor reinforcement, and not simply an extra-layer?
Can I expect to use sanded plywood to act as reinforcement of the current subfloor AND a smooth underlayment for the vinyl tiles?
Or no matter what I use, the 5 or 6mm luan is always a mandatory layer?

Thanks
french_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
Hello,

My foyer, hallway, kitchen and ½ bathroom is with engineered hardwood floor (stapled)
I’m almost sure it was installed over the previous vinyl flooring, installed itself over a luan underlayment. The subfloor is OSB (not sure if it’s 3/4” though…)
I’m not a great fan of hardwood floor in a foyer nor in a kitchen. So I was thinking about removing the current flooring to install the TrafficMaster Ceramica vinyl tiles from Home Depot, and grout

I believe the best way would be to remove the current engineered hardwood, the old vinyl flooring and the underlayment (luan)
Then re-install a new underlayment and vinyl tiles

If I put a new layer of sanded plywood, which minimum thickness is considered a real floor reinforcement, and not simply an extra-layer?
Can I expect to use sanded plywood to act as reinforcement of the current subfloor AND a smooth underlayment for the vinyl tiles?
Or no matter what I use, the 5 or 6mm luan is always a mandatory layer?

Thanks
Luaun is always a possible troublemaker, stay away from it.
Use "Exterior Underlayemnt Grade Exposure 1 Plywood" for your vinyl tile underlayment, probably 1/2" would be a good start.
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #3

Do I need T&G?
I've read somewhere I should not screw into the joists.....Is that right?
And why?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2014, 02:29 PM   #4

Well, another option is to focus on the powder room downstairs
I could redo that room first, and see what I will do for the foyer, hallway and kitchen
In that case, I will put real tile in that small room, and put a marble threshold to have a nice transition between the tiles and the hardwood

I understand that the subfloor has to be very stiff for ceramic tiles. So my plan would be to remove the current engineered hardwood, the old vinyl tiles and the underlayment (probably luan)
I will then put plywood to stiffen up the current subfloor (OSB), then apply 1/4" CBU or Ditra. The only reason I would use Ditra vs CBU is to keep the height not too big
What thickness should I use for the plywood to act as a structural reinforcement? 1/2” or 3/4” – the room is approximately 5’ x 3,5’
If I go 3/4", then I guess I will have to use the Ditra membrane. With 1/2" plywood, I assume the 1/4" CBU is fine

I will have to figure out how to install the marble threshold, to make sure it’s slightly above both finished surface……!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 274

I think its a good idea.
alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_guy View Post
Well, another option is to focus on the powder room downstairs
I could redo that room first, and see what I will do for the foyer, hallway and kitchen
In that case, I will put real tile in that small room, and put a marble threshold to have a nice transition between the tiles and the hardwood

I understand that the subfloor has to be very stiff for ceramic tiles. So my plan would be to remove the current engineered hardwood, the old vinyl tiles and the underlayment (probably luan)
I will then put plywood to stiffen up the current subfloor (OSB), then apply 1/4" CBU or Ditra. The only reason I would use Ditra vs CBU is to keep the height not too big
What thickness should I use for the plywood to act as a structural reinforcement? 1/2” or 3/4” – the room is approximately 5’ x 3,5’
If I go 3/4", then I guess I will have to use the Ditra membrane. With 1/2" plywood, I assume the 1/4" CBU is fine

I will have to figure out how to install the marble threshold, to make sure it’s slightly above both finished surface……!
A standard marble threshold is thicker than tile, so having it stand proud of the tile isn't an issue. The thresholds are installed with modified thinset the same as the tile.

What is the floor joist spacing? this may help determine the best underlayment to use.
Old 10-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #7

16" OC, and sub-floor is 19/32 OSB
Old 10-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #8

What would be the best underlayment knowing I have 16" OC joists, and 19/32" OSB subfloor?
Thanks
Old 01-19-2015, 03:17 PM   #9

So should I go with an extra 3/4" plywood layer? Or can I go less than that?
And whatever the thickness is, should i go T&G or it's not required?
Old 01-19-2015, 05:05 PM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 750

Since your subfloor is roughly ⅝" I would go with at least ⅝" again. I say that cuz an old industry spec is two layers of ⅝" ply as a good base. Go thicker if it helps you in any way. No t&g needed or wanted for this second layer. T&G is just for the subfloor, not the underlayment.

What will be the elevation difference between this powder room and the hall, have you decided how to do the rest?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:02 PM   #11

The rest will be tile, but later.....depending on time and budget
I don't think having a transition (threshold and different tile) between the powder room and the rest of the floor (foyer, hallway and kitchen) is a big issue
Old 01-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #12
Tileguy

I actually think even ⅜" ply would do the job and the CBU manufacturers and Schluter say so too. But I went thicker cuz of your ⅝" OSB. You can install CBU or Ditra over OSB, but it needs to be ¾" or thicker. So, that's one reason we recommend the thicker ply. Anyway, the more the better, so go as thick as you can remembering that even Ditra & tiles will add close to ½".

I agree with you on the threshold. You, unlike many people understand and are willing to accept different levels for different types of flooring.

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
Old 01-20-2015, 09:34 AM   #13

What is the usual “best practice” when it comes to tile walls in a room (powder room) with a tiled floor:
Install baseboards (wood or ceramic) and tile above it, or tile the walls starting from the floor?
Old 01-20-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
Tileguy

Never use wood baseboards when both floor & wall is ceramic. I doubt you're gonna find ceramic stack base to match the wall tiles. So, field tiles starting above the floor.

Jaz

Old 01-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #15

My room is 5ft wide and 4'4" "deep"
If I cut a 4x8 3/4" plywood sheet, I can cover the 5x4 area
Then I will have left the 5' x 4" strip (back of the room) to cover with the remains of the plywood
Is it OK to do like that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement