Removing Carpet From Staircase - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Removing carpet from staircase

Hi, Just a beginner here:
How hard will it be to remove the carpet from this staircase?

After I remove it, what else will I need to do? I am assuming the hardwood flooring under the carpet will be pockmarked by the carpet staples. Will I then just sand it and paint it with some finish? Any feedback appreciated!

Would this be something it would make more sense to hire someone to do?

fatlittlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 1,658

Just grab it and pull it off. It may or may not be stapled. Are you sure there is hardwood underneath? I have seen staircases where only the visible part was hardwood.

Oh and just a warning, if you run around in socks, a hardwood staircase can be slick and cause falls.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,186

I removed the carpeting from the stairs leading up to the bedrooms in my home. In my case there were only six stairs, and it was a pain in the behind, as all DIY jobs seem to be. I didn't have hardwood underneath the carpeting though, just 2x10 pine risers and treads, which I tore out and replaced with oak hardwood. I had purchased and prefinished the treads and risers before I started working on the stairs so I didn't have to worry about not using the stairs while the finish was drying. In your case, you have many more stairs than I did and you'll probably have to paint the side by the wall and use the other side until it dries, and then do the other side. A pretty big job, which will probably take a week or so, if not more. Good luck.
Dave Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 01:31 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6,652

Is this your actual staircase or just some picture you found on the web? Really to be able to do it correct, without destroying the treads and risers, you would need the right tools. Otherwise you are going to end up with having to fix a lot of damage, if you start digging into the staples.

If the tack strips were just tacked down, not glued, they would come right up, but again you would have damage where the tacks were in the treads, and would be easily noticed, unless you do the repairs in a way, that the putty is tinted the same base color as the existing tread stain.

I would check with a couple of mill shops in your area, and get their suggestions in what to do, before tackling, since they could tell you if you are going to run into some issues, when you pull up the carpet.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 04:03 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 17,912

I can not imagine why anyone would want painted stair treads when they already have what looks like oak treads.
Unless you added a runner over the walking surface this is going to become a constant mantaince issue if painted.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Yes this is the actual staircase, I am hoping there is hardwood under the carpet. Then I will rip off the carpet and all the tacks then sand the wood down and stain it? I have a feeling it's not going to be easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Is this your actual staircase or just some picture you found on the web? Really to be able to do it correct, without destroying the treads and risers, you would need the right tools. Otherwise you are going to end up with having to fix a lot of damage, if you start digging into the staples.

If the tack strips were just tacked down, not glued, they would come right up, but again you would have damage where the tacks were in the treads, and would be easily noticed, unless you do the repairs in a way, that the putty is tinted the same base color as the existing tread stain.

I would check with a couple of mill shops in your area, and get their suggestions in what to do, before tackling, since they could tell you if you are going to run into some issues, when you pull up the carpet.
fatlittlepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 6,652

It could be, but it could also be Pressed Sawdust with Oak ends. Only way to find out, is to take off one tread of carpet, along with the riser to see. Worse case scenario, you are going to have to have a mill shop make up all new Treads & Risers, if they are not solid Oak.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
registered

Rewards Points: 534

First you have some nice looking carpet on those stairs. Second not easy job. Its heavy duty(carpet). Try to pull it up see what happens.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 782

That looks like a PITA. I pulled my carpet off my stairs and I had pine under it. Hope that yours are hardwood.
Dave88LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,002

I removed some carpeting from a staircase recently, and the b*****d that installed it must have had a giant supply of staples he was trying to get rid of.

I ended up putting a pry bar under the carpet close to the staples to pry it up, and of course all of the shinola on the carpet came up and wanted to hit me in the face as it released.

Repeat this about 13 times.

Now go back and pull out all the staples and scrape the bloody pad off the wood.

What a cluster!
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement