Removed Carpet To Find This.. Wanted To Install Laminate - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
Question

Removed Carpet to find this.. wanted to install laminate

Hey guys, first time poster! So..the plan was to install laminate and it still is the plan but when I pulled the carpet, this is what I found. Not sure what is under those boards though, any guesses? How hard of a job will it be to remove these tiles and install laminate? It's a 13 x 12 ft room.

Is installing over these tiles a bad idea? If I do go that route, with the 10mm laminate plus the 9mm DMX 1-Step underlay, it will be really high off the ground, not sure how that would turn out.

Btw, I did find few damp spots on the underpad that I removed. Is that just the moisture? Didn't find anything on the tiles though.

i.imgur.com/ScEsf92.jpg

(not sure why is not letting me post image link)
mr032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 11:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,014

I believe you have to have a certain number of posts (5?) before you can post pictures. So I'll help you out with that.....so, how was your day?
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spaceman spif For This Useful Post:
mr032 (02-20-2016), Nik333 (02-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 6,652

You have to use a real link to the public shared picture, in order to show. You should be able to use the picture icon next to the Globe with link on Quick Reply, so that the picture is shown in your post. You can use IMG between a set of [] at the start of the URL. At the end you use [/], with /IMG in the last set.

Keep the tiles, ditch the idea for the cheap laminate. You should be able to clean them up and make them look like new after applying new sealer on them.

Kind of like this.

Last edited by gregzoll; 02-19-2016 at 11:51 PM.
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
mr032 (02-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2016, 12:03 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 6

Yes, I tried the img tags, says I need at least 1 post but already have 1 lol anyway, thanks for posting it for me.

The thing is, this is a bedroom, tiles in a bedroom is just odd IMO. I'll try laying out some laminate and see how they look.
mr032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 12:04 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,314

It's hard to tell from the photo, are those ceramic tiles?

Unless you really hate the look, I'd keep them too, if they fit in with the rest of the house design and era. You could maybe paint your cabinets or back splash tile to coordinate with the blue or the tan.

Depending on how good of a job they did in installing the tiles, they might come right up with a floor scraper. If they are really tight to the floor, it could be a major job to get it all up.

EDIT: I now see that this is a bedroom, not a kitchen. Yeah, I've only seen a few bedrooms with tiles, in Florida and Arizona,

New carpet might be a better option than laminate.

Last edited by ZZZZZ; 02-20-2016 at 12:31 AM.
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZZZZZ For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-20-2016), mr032 (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 12:36 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 6,652

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr032 View Post
Yes, I tried the img tags, says I need at least 1 post but already have 1 lol anyway, thanks for posting it for me.

The thing is, this is a bedroom, tiles in a bedroom is just odd IMO. I'll try laying out some laminate and see how they look.
That is fine. That is what we are here for, to help save the day on things like this. They disabled the privilege of new poster's putting in image links until they are at a certain number, because the board got hit really bad with a few spammers.

With it being a bedroom and you want to keep the Tile as your base and it is solid, I see no issue maybe laying some plastic to protect, then some 30# felt, then lay the boards over to float. I would not cheap on laminate that is just print over pressed sawdust. I would use a laminate that has a good wood base and then the Veneer for the top.

The tile is your treasure you found. Leave it there for the next person to find. I would maybe place a plastic bag with a letter of when you uncovered it as a time capsule for who may remove that flooring you are putting down.

Some people have also taken some PVC pipe, put on some caps and put in pictures and info on when they redid the house, then drop the Time Capsule into the wall cavity.

gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ZZZZZ (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 01:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,014

Other people, like me, taped an outline of a body onto the floor before placing the new flooring over it.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spaceman spif For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-20-2016)
Old 02-20-2016, 01:45 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,484

I think the tile is pretty. It looks somewhat Grecian to me. You could put down a large area rug with a thick pad . . .
Nik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nik333 For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (02-20-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement