Recommended Flooring Over Concrete - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #1
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 488

recommended flooring over concrete

I've been asked to install a floor covering in a basement. The floor is concrete and the home owner plans to use the basement room as a main recreational area. Is there a recommended floor type for this application?Warmth is the first concern and I've seen many products that suggest underlay isn't necessary. WHat about and underlay with laminate? Any suggestions?
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 400

What kind of recreational area, TV room, sports, game room, weight lifting? Different floors are better for different activities.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 18,384

No way you I want laminate in a basement.
What's there budget?
This is one option.
http://www.dricore.com/en/index.aspx
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

basement

Budget yet unknown but I would expect to be mid range. Why not laminate? Other suggestions ... carpet? Lino? We're only looking at about 675 sq. ft. but they also want other items done such as added walls, dropped ceiling drywall, and a few modifications. That is why I think flooring budget is to be mid range.
Old 02-15-2014, 11:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I have a room in my house that has a slab floor. We used a vapor-barrier carpet padding, it's kind of pink in color avail at the local home depot,, meant for concrete floors. It works exccellent for carpet padding. Very soft and squishy (and the leftover piece works great as a floor pad for tent camping, under my sleeping bag!).

Almost any flooring option has an underlayment option for slab floors. Check out home depot or Lowe's online and I think you'll find a concrete-designed option for whatever flooring they choose. Not that you have to buy the products there but at least you can see what's avail.
Huskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 02:08 AM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
Budget yet unknown but I would expect to be mid range. Why not laminate? Other suggestions ... carpet? Lino? We're only looking at about 675 sq. ft. but they also want other items done such as added walls, dropped ceiling drywall, and a few modifications. That is why I think flooring budget is to be mid range.
Still would be best to know exactly what kind of recreation room.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

laminate, tile, vinyl are some good choices for a basement.

I don't like to put carpet anywhere, especially a basement. It holds dust, smells, mold and unless you are replacing it every couple years then it's not a good idea. If you put down a subfloor like Platon and OSB, then maybe carpet.
If the basement is dry, you can put down laminate right on the slab with a good underlayment.
If there is some moisture problems, I'd tile it. If you have a larger budget and you want the floor nice and warm, put down in floor heating and tile over top.

Again, if the basement is completely dry and with no moisture or humidity problems, you could put down platon and OSB subfloor and use a click engineered hardwood, if you want a nicer look than laminate.

Hope this helps.
mcnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:12 AM   #8
Solutions (handyman)

flooring

Rusty, I think it will be mostly a tv room but also they plan on having a bar so it may be the most used room in the house. There doesn't appear to be any water issues as the house is build into a slight hill and the basement has a patio door showing the ground slopes away from the house.
The couple is (I'm guessing) in their forties with a daughter in her late teens. A small dog and that's it. They seem to be clean but not super fussy. Hope this helps the evaluation.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #9
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnic View Post
laminate, tile, vinyl are some good choices for a basement.

I don't like to put carpet anywhere, especially a basement. It holds dust, smells, mold and unless you are replacing it every couple years then it's not a good idea. If you put down a subfloor like Platon and OSB, then maybe carpet.
If the basement is dry, you can put down laminate right on the slab with a good underlayment.
If there is some moisture problems, I'd tile it. If you have a larger budget and you want the floor nice and warm, put down in floor heating and tile over top.

Again, if the basement is completely dry and with no moisture or humidity problems, you could put down platon and OSB subfloor and use a click engineered hardwood, if you want a nicer look than laminate.

Hope this helps.
There again, you need to know what they plan to do in there. If it will be a weight room, you don't want tile. Carpet would be best for a TV room. Kids and adults, like laying on a carpeted floor to watch TV. (In 40 years, I rarely took up a basement carpet that had not lasted for years) I mean, there are different choices for different things.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:32 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 87

I'm not trying to sound like a jerk, but a family is hiring you to do a job and you don't know the in and outs or certain limitations of some flooring in certain applications. You are assuming there's no moisture issues but haven't even done the most basic of slab moisture testing to know for sure. If this was a homeowner doing his own work, then I can understand asking questions and needing guidance. But for someone that's going to be getting paid asking advice on a DIY board, yikes. Again I'm not at all trying to make waves or come off as a jerk, I just know I wouldn't let someone do anything in my house that doesn't know.
Jb1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jb1234 For This Useful Post:
Gymschu (02-16-2014)
Old 02-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

If it was my basement and had no major moisture issues, all concrete floors sweat some, I would put carpet in the major areas and either vinyl or ceramic in the bar area. The stories about carpet being bad in basements is highly overblown. Floors are less likely to mold under carpet than under laminate or vinyl. Put a 3X3 piece of carpet and a 3x3 piece of vinyl or laminate on a concrete floor and see which one traps the most water vapor. The carpet will allow most of the water to dissipate while the other two will trap it.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
There again, you need to know what they plan to do in there. If it will be a weight room, you don't want tile. Carpet would be best for a TV room. Kids and adults, like laying on a carpeted floor to watch TV. (In 40 years, I rarely took up a basement carpet that had not lasted for years) I mean, there are different choices for different things.
If it's a weight room, a rubber matting should be used around the weight area over the flooring anyway, so tile is still a fine application.

Almost every carpet I've removed in a basement has had mold somewhere on it. If the concrete has vapor seepage, then the carpet will hold that water over time, and eventually mold. Plus it traps allergens and dust whether it's in a basement or not.
You are definitely right about laminate trapping moisture, especially with an underlay. That's mostly why I asked if the basement was dry or not.

If we are asking ourselves what we would do in our own house, I would absolutely always put a subfloor down before any flooring I use, but not everyone has a budget for it.

If you need a kids room or something with more of a cozy feel, get some good throw rugs.

Last edited by mcnic; 02-16-2014 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 04:25 PM   #13
Pro Flooring Installer

What kind of "subfloor"? I have never seen plywood over concrete that did not fail. It always rots.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 526

Given your location with a daylight basement; http://nsidc.org/fgdc/maps/gtmap_can_us_browse.html

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bef2a9fb9809f2

http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ms?full_view=1

Gary
Old 02-16-2014, 06:07 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker
What kind of "subfloor"? I have never seen plywood over concrete that did not fail. It always rots.
There's a few options for subflooring in a basement. Dry core is a popular product. I prefer Platon with 5/8" osb on top.
There are more options like insulated foam board with plywood overtop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement