Reclaiming/installing Black Cherry Wood For Flooring-- A Doable DYI Project? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 1 Post By Nealtw
  • 2 Post By de-nagorg
  • 2 Post By SeniorSitizen
  • 1 Post By BrownEyedGuy
  • 2 Post By Nealtw
  • 1 Post By de-nagorg

Old 01-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 18

Reclaiming/installing Black Cherry wood for flooring-- a doable DYI project?

A real estate investor friend is giving us about 700 sq feet of Black Cherry wood planking. It was pulled off the walls of an old house. Itís in OK but not great shape, (tape residue, nails, some cracks) but we need flooring in our home, and this is 3/4 inch thick, tongue in groove, solid wood which sells for $10 per square foot new.

Black Cherry is supposed to be softish but this wood seems as hard as a rock. I can not make a mark with my fingernail.

We have to go to the site and bring it home. It will be a lot of work, but it will look good when re-finished. I cleaned up and oiled the bottom plank in the below photo, so the rest should look pretty good when finished.

After refinishing it (remove nails, sanding, etc) we then have to install it. We have a cement underfloor in some places and plywood in other.

One side has been stained or painted, stained I guess, but the stain went between the planks some (See photo)

How tough is installing hardwood floor as a FYI project?

Is it best to install it and then refinish it, or refinish it piece by piece and then install it?

Any thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Reclaiming/installing Black Cherry wood for flooring-- a doable DYI project?-black-cherry-wood-3.png  
Attached Images

rod5591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:25 PM   #2
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 3,340

Re: Reclaiming/installing Black Cherry wood for flooring-- a doable DYI project?

If I had that, after getting ALL the metal out of it, I would run it through a surface sander, to first remove the major dents, finish, and scuffs.

Then a second pass through with finer sandpaper.

Then make sure that I had enough material to cover the desired area.

Maybe clean up the t&g part on a machine.

Then do several test layouts to get the best look and cover that I can.

Make sure that the floor is perfectly flat , even, and clean.

Then start in the corner nailing it down. Working to the exits.

Clean the surface again, and apply whatever finish that was chosen.

A lot of labor, but worth it to get the best that you can from this.

ED
SeniorSitizen and rod5591 like this.
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #3
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,322

Re: Reclaiming/installing Black Cherry wood for flooring-- a doable DYI project?

Not on a concrete floor.
rod5591 likes this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
JUSTA MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealtw View Post
Not on a concrete floor.
Maybe build a PT 2X2 framework with plywood underlayment, to raise it above the concrete.

Concrete does have a water drawing factor, and will rot the Cherry.

ED
Nealtw and rod5591 like this.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,700

This wood Parquet has been on concrete for about 50 years. At some point in its life it was covered with carpet but we removed it 10 years ago, sanded and re-installed.

I would recommend stickering for a couple of weeks in the area they will be installed and do a moisture test ( 6-8 percent is a good number for most areas of the world ) comparing to other wood in the house.
Attached Images

de-nagorg and rod5591 like this.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,314

Your biggest concern is the tongue and grove. If that is fully intact on all boards, then you're OK. Otherwise, you'll need to machine the edges with a shaper.

Putting solid wood flooring over concrete is not a DIY project. You'll need to resolve this, but how, requires more information.

No, you do not need to pre-surface/sand the material, but you do need to make sure the tongue and grove shaping is all completed from the underside as the reference face.
rod5591 likes this.
BrownEyedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:32 AM   #7

Some of the tongue and groove is broken and chipped in places. I think I can build up the chipped parts with wood filler.

Like I said, the cherry wood planks were used as wall paneling in a large den & library. So they are in good shape except for the dings caused by removing the planks from the walls. The facing side was stained dark brown, and the other side was not treated. In the photos, 3 stained sides are up and 3 unstained sides are up. If I am able, I would use the non-treated side for the flooring.

The sequence to prepare/reclaim is 1) remove nails, 2) repaid broken tongues and cracks, 3) remove the sticky residue of tape that bound stacked of wood together 4) sand smooth 5) apply an oil/protectent such as Hardwax Oil.

Part 2 is installation. Not certain how to approach this yet.

Regarding the wood preparation, I would appreciate comments/advice/criticism of my plan to restore the wood I am not experienced in working with wood and my plan is based on Internet research.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:58 AM   #8
retired framer

Rewards Points: 13,322

The general rule is no hard wood over concrete because of moisture issues and then you will have a problem with expansion and contraction will be different from wood to concrete below, so maybe if you use something below that would be like a floating subfloor like dricore.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000112986.html

The T&G are there to hold one side of the board down as you only nail one side of the board, so you have enough to do the job or not, anything that can be filled can be done in prep for sanding after it is down.
de-nagorg and rod5591 like this.
Nealtw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

The cherry wood flooring did not work out! My wife and I were sure disappointed. I thought for sure I had already posted this, but I see I did not. My thanks to those who took their time to answer, and apologies for the late response.

We still hope we can find some reclaimed wood flooring in decent shape still. There's no way we can afford new flooring though. What is a fair price for old wood floors that have been pulled up from the original location?
The Following User Says Thank You to rod5591 For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 08:50 PM   #10
JUSTA MEMBER

Pricing depends on several factors, supply, demand: location, location, location: condition: your willingness to invest sweat.

Many others, that are hidden right now.

Check out your area on Angie's list, home adviser, etc.

ED
rod5591 likes this.
Old 03-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #11

In looking around locally (central Tennessee) I don't understand the pricing that I am seeing.

Home Depot has new red oak flooring for 3.87 square foot, Lowes for 4.69 square foot. This is new, beautiful hardwood flooring.

Yet on LSN, I see reclaimed antique redwood flooring for 6.50 square foot! In my view it looks like barnwood, not at all attractive. https://www.lsn.com/building-materia...l#&gid=1&pid=1

IS there a logical reason why old, reclaimed flooring is nearly twice as expensive as brand new flooring?
Old 03-10-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
JUSTA MEMBER

Could be the material that it is made from.

Also the condition, many people pay a premium for aged woods, because they are decorating with it, not making a floor, but a wall accent.

And they call the aging a PATINA, which to me and you probably means ugly.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement