Real Hardwood Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes
Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default

Real hardwood floor


I want to replace the carpet in the bedrooms to real hardwood floor of tiger wood (to match the wood floor in the living room).

I talked to a flooring guy about it. He said that although he would use real tiger wood at the top, he would use engineered wood under the real wood. Reason is that he believes I have concrete floor, and real wood doesn't stick to the concrete. Is that true?
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,705
Rewards Points: 558
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeLearner View Post
I want to replace the carpet in the bedrooms to real hardwood floor of tiger wood (to match the wood floor in the living room).

I talked to a flooring guy about it. He said that although he would use real tiger wood at the top, he would use engineered wood under the real wood. Reason is that he believes I have concrete floor, and real wood doesn't stick to the concrete. Is that true?
Could be true. Has anyone done any moisture testing? Don't have any way to know without moisture tests.

How is it the "engineered wood" (I assume that means plywood) will stick to the concrete but the hardwood flooring product won't?

What exactly is his planned method of installation for these products?
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
joecaption (11-13-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Could be true. Has anyone done any moisture testing? Don't have any way to know without moisture tests.
Why do moisture tests?

I also wonder if it's the right time to do the wood floor. Wood expands in the summer but shrinks in the winter. Don't know how that may affect the way the wood is placed (in the winter season).
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-13-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
How is it the "engineered wood" (I assume that means plywood) will stick to the concrete but the hardwood flooring product won't?

What exactly is his planned method of installation for these products?
I don't know much about flooring. I'll need to research on these subjects before asking him these questions.
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:19 PM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer
 
rusty baker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 6,622
Rewards Points: 400
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeLearner View Post
Why do moisture tests?
Before you install any type of flooring, but especially for wood, you need to know if any moisture is coming through the slab.
__________________
The ads in my post are there without my permission. I do not endorse any of the products.
Semi-Retired Installer
Installing since 1973
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Before you install any type of flooring, but especially for wood, you need to know if any moisture is coming through the slab.
Shall I call a home inspector to find out about moisture level? Would the inspector need to tear apart the carpet to test moisture?
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
Before you install any type of flooring, but especially for wood, you need to know if any moisture is coming through the slab.
I have real hardwood floor in my living room. They look good. Isn't it an indication that the moisture level is fine?
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 36,623
Rewards Points: 18,384
Default


Engineered wood is real wood, it's plywood under a layer of veneer wood over it.
His plan makes 0 since to me.
__________________
When posting in forums, letting us know your location will help others give better feedback/advice/solutions to your questions
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 06:51 PM   #9
Member
 
ZZZZZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Middle of nowhere, AZ
Posts: 8,558
Rewards Points: 1,338
Default


Why not float the engineered wood floor? Use an underlayment with a moisture barrier

Like this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-A...-105/202299502
ZZZZZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:45 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 179
Rewards Points: 149
Default


Find the floor you want and look up the manufacturer's recommendation for installing it over concrete.
LVDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #11
JOATMON
 
ddawg16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: S. California
Posts: 14,374
Rewards Points: 17,740
Blog Entries: 2
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeLearner View Post
Shall I call a home inspector to find out about moisture level? Would the inspector need to tear apart the carpet to test moisture?
Hell no.....he is one of the last people you would want to take advice from on something like this.

Call another flooring company and get their opinion. Don't tell them you have talked to anyone else.
__________________
Even if you are on the right track, you will still get run over if you just sit there.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Engineered wood is real wood, it's plywood under a layer of veneer wood over it.
His plan makes 0 since to me.
I might have mis-understood him. He did mention that engineered wood was real wood, if I recall. He might have meant using engineered wood.

Last edited by HomeLearner; 11-13-2014 at 09:36 PM.
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by LVDIY View Post
Find the floor you want and look up the manufacturer's recommendation for installing it over concrete.
Good idea.

But where can I find the floor I want? In a home improvement magazine?

I want to match the floor in my living room. But I don't have the information about the manufacturer of the tiger wood and don't know how to get it, either.

I don't know if the original builder manufactured the hardwood or the previous condo owner hired a flooring company (after the condo was built).
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZ View Post
Why not float the engineered wood floor? Use an underlayment with a moisture barrier

Like this stuff: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Roberts-A...-105/202299502
Good suggestion!

I can use this as an interview question when looking for a good flooring company.
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 03:41 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 264
Rewards Points: 578
Default


I called a flooring guy and told him that I would like to take a look at the work he did before in person (instead of photos).

He said he didn't feel comfortable to get me to his former clients' homes to see their floors.

Is it an unreasonable request to see the real work in person (instead of photos)?
HomeLearner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hardwood Floor Buckling klappjack Flooring 6 10-04-2014 12:21 PM
vinyl tile over hardwood floor??? DIY_GUY_419 Flooring 10 10-01-2014 02:42 PM
Sanding methods for uneven hardwood floors inquisitiveblue Flooring 3 08-05-2011 11:49 AM
3/4 Hardwood Flooring over sufficient subfloor? bout time Flooring 3 06-20-2011 06:15 AM
can engineered hardwood be a floating floor? smythe01 Flooring 10 07-09-2008 11:16 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts