Re-finished Hardwood Flooring Issue - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-23-2013, 09:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 60

Re-finished hardwood Flooring Issue

I attemped to fix a deep scratch on a re-finished hardwood floor. I sanded down the area and after attempting to re-stain the area the color just looks off. I'm not sure if I'm not doing something right or if the color is not right. My questions are:

1) Can a professional fix this without having to re-finish the whole room?
2) Am I doing something wrong? I bought the min-wax stain and attempted to re-stain the area.

If anyone can help with this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
mi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 18,384

Post a picture.
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #3
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi26 View Post
I attemped to fix a deep scratch on a re-finished hardwood floor. I sanded down the area and after attempting to re-stain the area the color just looks off. I'm not sure if I'm not doing something right or if the color is not right. My questions are:

1) Can a professional fix this without having to re-finish the whole room?
2) Am I doing something wrong? I bought the min-wax stain and attempted to re-stain the area.

If anyone can help with this, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Sometimes you can buy the same flooring still, and depending on the damage, sometimes it's easier to replace the one board or tile that's damaged rather than repairing it, it's a headache either way and if you replace with a new piece even of the same floor it will look newer than the rest.
On the other hand, as a woodworker I can tell you that for some reason, once you stain and finish a board, if you sand a part of it back to bare wood again to fix a defect, using the same grit you used before, and re-stain it with the same exact stain, it seems that no matter what you do it still looks different and you can still see where the area that was sanded was- it's usually a little lighter, especially if the baord had been top coated with lacquer etc.

It's almost as though the stain affects the wood's cells, and restaining it the stain doesn't penetrait exactly the same. It could be the top coat like lacquer, urethane etc soaks in a little further than one would normally sand down, to remove a small defect like a scratch, and that is affecting the stain applied the second time.

You can get it close with a little work.

A photo would be good.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 368

More than likely you would need to refinish tall of the floors to blend this in. You would at least need to do the entire room in which the damaged board was in. If the flooring is running the right way to create a sopping point, you may be able to not do adjoining rooms. Pictures would be helpful.
Awoodfloorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #5

I will take pics and post in the next day or so.

Thanks again
Old 04-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,042

Once you sanded it the damage was done,you closed the cells in the wood,thats why it looks lighter and won't take more stain,a pro may have a trick up his sleeve to get close to the original.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 AM   #7

I've attached pictures. The first two are the damage where you can see I tried two different shades of stain to see if either worked. The scratch is obviously still there. The third is what the rest of the floors look like. I know, I shouldn't of touched it, but I'm hoping it can be fixed!
Attached Thumbnails
Re-finished hardwood Flooring Issue-floor-1.jpg   Re-finished hardwood Flooring Issue-floor-2.jpg   Re-finished hardwood Flooring Issue-floor-3.jpg  
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #8

Quote:
I've attached pictures. The first two are the damage where you can see I tried two different shades of stain to see if either worked. The scratch is obviously still there. The third is what the rest of the floors look like. I know, I shouldn't of touched it, but I'm hoping it can be fixed!
Unfortunately, the only fix for this is going to be to refinish the floors. Since the scratch goes across the boards, you will not be able to touch this up and get it to blend in with the rest of the floors. As I mentioned before, if the flooring runs perpendicular to adjoining doorways/rooms you can likely tape off a line and just refinish the room that the damage is in. On the other hand if the flooring flows through doorways and into other rooms those rooms will also need to be refinished.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 528

Your existing flooring has yellowed with time. The only way to get it to be one color is to sand and refinish the whole floor..

hopefully it is a small room.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #10

I honestly don't care about the scratch. I just want the area I sanded to attempt to fix the stain to be touched up to match the rest of the floor. I should of researched better before I attempted to touch it. Rookie mistake.

I guess I thought matching the floor on a "touchup" would of been easy and I'm assuming it's not?

Does anyone think a professional may have some tricks to do this? I don't mind hiring someone at this point. I'd hate to have to pay to have the whole rooms refinished
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #11

Quote:
I honestly don't care about the scratch. I just want the area I sanded to attempt to fix the stain to be touched up to match the rest of the floor. I should of researched better before I attempted to touch it. Rookie mistake.

I guess I thought matching the floor on a "touchup" would of been easy and I'm assuming it's not?

Does anyone think a professional may have some tricks to do this? I don't mind hiring someone at this point. I'd hate to have to pay to have the whole rooms refinished
I think the only other possible thing that might make it blend a little better might be to buff and recoat that room. The coloring will still be a little different and the scratch would still be there, but it might hide it a bit better. Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:31 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,042

Quote:

Unfortunately the scratch is across the grain,and that's the hardest to fix,with the grain would be a cinch,why not give someone in your area a call and ask if it can be reasonably matched to the original,or if a full refinish is in your future.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 02:12 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

There are more variables at play here. You said refinished, how long ago? You have 3 diffirent looking colors which will matter on fixing. If it is natural/clear like the middle one looks and the resand was failry new it can be repaired by a pro. Even the other two may be able to be repaired by a pro but let me emphasize the word PRO. You cant replace because like wolfy says because 5/16 flooring does not come prefinshed (that I know of) it is actually somewhat tough to find. And if you do it is not cheap. Call your local flooring guy and he should be able to make it look better and at reasonable price around $500, would be my guess. He may suggest to recoat the whole floor to blen sheen which is good no matter how you look at it but that will most likely bump price up.
skipoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement