Raising Floor Level - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

raising floor level

I have a unsealed and un-level concrete floor that I want to raire about 3/4 of an inch,( some areas would be 1/4 inch.
Can I put some type of bonding agent down and then pour over it ?
The area is about 30 by 25, and one minor crack fron center out to the edge .
thanks for any advise and input...
jb
shrinkinfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 558

There exists Self Levelling Compounds made for just that purpose.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 PM   #3

raising floor level

I dont live in the States any more, and where I am now I dont even have a "box store".... I have been to all the available outlets in my area and the are very limited on products and knowledge.. some have never heard of floor leveler..( I was told to just mix the cement wet and it will level... I said thanks and walked out...)I knew i was in the wrong place after that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2011, 01:53 PM   #4
Tileguy

If you mix enough water with Portland cement to cause it to be self levelling I'm sure you will ruin the cement. That isn't what cement is intended to do without the necessary additives that are proprietary in self levelling compound.

You could do a sand and Portland "deck mud" installation but that would take some skills.

You might look into Mapei International and Laticrete International and see if either of them distribute in your area. You aren't all that far off the beaten path even in Belize.
Old 09-26-2011, 02:33 PM   #5

Raising floor level

I am sorry, Maybe I should have stated that I do not wish to tile this area, I just to make it level with the other floors.( this area is a patio that some of it gets wet and slick at times ) we are wanting to add some type of texture so it wont be so slippery if we can ? .
sorry if i wasnt clear on the origional post..
Old 09-26-2011, 02:55 PM   #6
Tileguy

No one said anything about tile!
Old 09-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 780

Most leveling products can not be used as the finish flooring. However I know there are at least a few that can. I saw one the other night while searching for SLC's. I don't recall, but I think it was either Mapei or Laticrete. Will check back when I find it.

You said part will only require to be 1/4" thick. That's fine for SLC. Can it be made thicker, or is that it?

Jaz

MARBLE from ITALY & GREECE -PERLATO-PERLATINO-BOTTICINO-THASSOS-SIVEC-VOLAKAS-CALACATTA- NAXOS-Slabs-Tiles-Custom containers shipped to you - [email protected]
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Tileguy

Mapei International offers a whole host of SLC products for both interior and exterior. Some are even used for embossing with rubber stamps and acid staining so they are usable for a wear-surface. Most of the SLC's on the shelf in the home centers do not qualify for anything other than an underlayment.

I'm guessing Laticrete would have the same and probably Ardex but I have no product names at this time. They can be found on the respective websites.

Been down this road before.
Old 10-01-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
General Contractor

There are several companies that have products that will works. Mapei, Laticrete, Elite Crete, and Concrete Solutions just to name a few. You might check and see which might have a distribution location close to you as shipping can really add to the cost.

These type of products aren't typically designed for the DIY'er as each system is different, and it is possible that a few different products would be used in the same job depending on the depth of material being added, type of finish desired, etc. Make sure you do lots of homework to understand the process first, so you know what skills you will need as well as the tools and equipment that will be required.
SeattleSurfaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
construction , flooring repairs