Questions On Tiling A Floor (My First Attempt) - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 27

Questions on Tiling a floor (My first attempt)

I'm planning to tile my bathroom floor. Ripped up entire floor down to the joists. Got rid of all the peaks and valleys. Put down 23/32 advantech sub floor with 2 inch decking screws. I'll be getting the cement backer board this weekend to put down. My plan is to apply thin set with a 1/4 x 1/4 notched trowel then put down 1/2 inch backer board and screw it down.

My questions are:

1. If i want to tile the baseboards should I run backerboard along the bottom of my wall? Currently nothing on the studs i can either put backer board or drywall whatever is a better option. (This bathroom has sink toilet and shower)

2. Should I tape the seams of the backer board on the floor, baseboards (If needed) and shower walls? And with what tape? Do i go about this the same as if taping drywall?
Conde54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

You should tape the joints with fiberglass tape for this purpose. You can tape beforehand with a very light coat of mortar, or tape as you tile. If you tape as you tile, make sure you don't catch the tape with your trowel and mess it all up.

As for the baseboard tile and the backer for it, I'm sure that plenty of people just tile on sheetrock because it isn't designed to get wet. However, since you are starting at the studs, you can surely put in a 4" or whatever strip of tilebacker, then transition to sheetrock.

As far as that goes, you can just tile the walls. You can also sheath the walls with tilebacker and paint them.

A lot of people will go up the walls a certain distance with tile, then paint.

You can check into a tilebacker for dry walls which you can finish like sheetrock. I believe it is called densglass. I used it once on some bathroom walls. As I recall, it has a fiberglass reinforced facing and looks like denshield on the back.

Hope this all has you sufficiently confused.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleveman For This Useful Post:
Conde54 (02-06-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement