Questions About Installing Vinyl Plank Floating Floor - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2017, 01:11 AM   #1

Questions about installing vinyl plank floating floor

I'm about to install vinyl plank floating floor in my living room, hallway and kitchen. There are 9 doorways total, I have a crappy drawing of the layout just to give an idea. My main question is, what is the easiest way to do this with all these doors? Should I run parallel to the doors? Or perpendicular? I know they say to run parallel to the longest wall, but I'm more concerned about the easiest way.
I have installed in bedrooms before but that's just a square with a couple doors. This is two rooms and a hallway with a couple jog outs. I'm also not worried about using transition pieces from living room to kitchen since I will be using them in all the doorways. Thanks for any input
Attached Thumbnails
Questions about installing vinyl plank floating floor-20170119_014452_1484809873315.jpg  
Lph008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 11:56 AM   #2

Anyone have any input on this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 12:35 PM   #3
JUSTA MEMBER

Rewards Points: 4,060

Re: Questions about installing vinyl plank floating floor

Well damn spanky.

I just saw it today.

I would start at the upper left corner , in your diagram, ( the living room corner, and put the planks across the room left to right, all the way .

As this will give me a chance to extend the flooring right into the kitchen without any transition pieces.

Might have to trim the door jamb a bit to slip the planks under it.

As for the strange puzzle looking section, does this area dead end that way, or does iy extend into other rooms?

ED
de-nagorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2017, 08:04 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. The hallway has the bathroom, two closets and two bedrooms. I'm not doing the bedrooms or bath, across from the front door there are stairs for the upstairs. Also another closet next to the front door, so I should start on the wall in the living room on the opposite end of the front door? That would mean the planks would ve perpendicular to 5 of the 8 doors in the living room/ hallway. I'm not that concerned about a transition piece in between livingroom and kitchen, just looking for the easiest way with all the doors I have.

When I'm looking at the crappy drawing I made (lol) I'm looking at it sideways with the kitchen at the bottom and the front door in the top left corner, just saying so we are looking at it the same for reference. Thanks again for the help. I will be pulling all the trim Sunday, and installing floor before work Monday
Old 01-20-2017, 09:41 PM   #5
JUSTA MEMBER

With the planks perpendicular to most doors, you can carry the planks right through the doors into the next area, better, than having to trim a special piece to fit them. And the main doorway into the kitchen and hallway will be a smooth flow that way.

I was just looking at which way will be less work for you.

You will need to terminate some at the thresholds anyway, which will make that edge susceptible to being crushed by anyone stepping on an edge.

I meant the corner not at the front door as a starting point, to be clearer.

ED
Old 01-20-2017, 10:35 PM   #6

Yes I was either going to start at the front door if I were running them parallel or start at the far wall if I run perpendicular. Thanks for the help. I'll be running them perpendicular. Thanks again
The Following User Says Thank You to Lph008 For This Useful Post:
de-nagorg (01-20-2017)
Old 01-20-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
JUSTA MEMBER

Allow yourself several days to do this, you don't want to rush and make any mistakes.

Make sure that the walls are SQUARE, (most are not), and if not, square the flooring, leaving a bit of room at the walls to be covered with the shoe molding

And be consistent in the spacing of any cut pieces, do not start any consecutive rows close together, weakens the area, and looks odd.

and YOU'RE WELCOME, my pleasure to be helpful.

ED
Old 01-20-2017, 10:56 PM   #8

Speaking of shoe molding, should I leave the base on and use quarter round to cover the gap? I was going to pull all the base off and use that to cover the gap....what do you think?
Old 01-21-2017, 10:11 AM   #9
JUSTA MEMBER

Taking it off and re-using it is easier on the installation, but saving it during the removal is often very hard to do.

It is up to your taste if you want the flooring under the shoe molding, or just a quarter round.

ED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement